Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor has blinking lines, turns on and off....

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shamis

shamis

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:15 AM

Last thursday my computer monitor began displaying these thin black horizontal lines in a blinking type fashion. Almost like a regular tv would when it is about to go out. Then it became worse, now my screen looks heavily pixilated in spots and it turns off (the green on button turns orange) for at least 15-30 seconds at a time.

From what I read, it could either be my monitor or graphics card. I bought a brand new monitor and the same thing happends. I was told by one of the geek squad guys at best buy that if it's the video card, then it would show the same signs while in safe mode. I'm in safe mode now and nothing is wrong.

Can anyone help me on this one? I would like to try to fix it myself if at all possible because I can't squeeze pc repair in our budget at this time :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:38 AM

its possible its the drivers then
can you tell us your graphics card and operating system

and it may work fine in safe mode becasue the graphics card is not doing much
(operating systems like windows vista seem to use a lot of graphics power, and in normal mode you got 32 bit color and a high res most of the time)

in normal mode try putting the color at 16 color and the lowest res it can go to
and see if it still has the problem

#3 shamis

shamis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:01 AM

Windows XP and I couldn't find "graphics card" but the display adapter is NVIDIA GeForce FX5200
I put the color bit at 16 with the lowest res and still the same problem. When I put the color bit at 4 with the lowest res, not so much.

#4 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:30 PM

so you put the color at 4 bit and it amost went alway?
can you get to 16 colors(lowest), go to the desktop and right click then and then click properties and then click on the settings tab and select it from the tab that says color and then pick 16 colors
and put lowest res(may be screen area)(from that properties>settings thing)

could be that the graphics card(display adapter) is dying
or you need new drivers
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_175.19_whql.html
thats the drivers for the NVIDIA GeForce FX5200

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users