Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet is screwed up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 odentheraven

odentheraven

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:20 AM

essentially my wireless internet for my laptop, will not work. I have gone through every suggestion in the network troubleshooter to no avail, i have looked at thirty eight pages on this site using the search internet connection problems.

history; a few weeks back my computer was acting a bit slow, figured it was something normal, it acted slower and slower each subsequent day, since then i have ran three sets of virus scans (one after the other not all at the same time) with my internet off. I used AVG then spybot search and destroy and then CCleaner (originally called crap cleaner before someone else layed claim to the name). between two and three my laptop couldn't run certain things on the internet that it used to, videos would say you need adobe flash 9.0 but i had just downloaded it, or you need quick time despite me having it. So i tried cleaning up my laptop a third time and low and behold my internet would not run, although every one elses would). And then my wireless network connection tab (under network connections) would randomly disappear. I used the system wizard andit created another one, but that one randomly disappears to, and now i have two wireless connections.

My Laptop; Gateway laptop about 4 1/2 years old, runs XP service package, in order to turn off the internet i have to hit function (Fn) F2 Function, and then repeat the process to turn it on (or i used to anyways), it has no switch for wireless connection on the bottom or anywhere at all for that matter, the keyboard is slowly dying so that could be the problem but i doubt it, my virus scans have not discovered a virus in 3 months. I use Two firewalls AVG and Spybot Search and destroy, they have never caused any problems in the past, i have been using them for six months, and CCleaner which wipes out all temporary but unnescesary files, again six months (this could be the problem admittedly).

What i've tried; i've followed every stupid step in the Network troubleshooting mode, during that period, after typing in "command" in run, and then typing ipconfig it showed me that my wireless adapter's Media state was disconnected. Under network connections it says that my Wireless Network connection is not connected. I have tried rebooting, both my Laptop and the modem, i have gone through and clicked the repair button on Wireless internet connection, I have tried disabling and then enabling my wireless internet connection, i have gone through the the device manager and looked for faulty hardware, i have attempted going through the properties menu of Wireless Internet connection, i have tried resetting my IP address and have gone through the internet protocol section of my laptop, and numerous other things that i have forgotten over the 12-15 hours i have been working on it.

if you need more info just ask, also if someone would tell me how to take snapshots of what my screen tells me, i'll show you the sections that may be unclarified. if i did not mention this before, when it is hooked up to a modem directly it will work, and it works faster than when i had wireless internet access but still tells me that i have problems when trying to watch videos. excuse my grammar, its 1:30 AM and close to bedtime

Edited by odentheraven, 29 July 2009 - 02:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mike171562

mike171562

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:13 AM

If your network card is dissappearing from your "Network Connections" window. it could be that your wireless card is going bad. Does your other ethernet card also disappear? When your card is missing from the Network connections window, does it also disappear from your "Device Manager"? btw to make a screenshot press the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard and open MS paint and click "edit" and then "paste" then save the file.

Edited by mike171562, 05 August 2009 - 10:14 AM.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:21 AM

2 firewalls? Which 2 and why?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users