Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing thousands of TAGS from Vista Photo Gallery

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 rodell

rodell

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:34 AM

Unbeknowns to me who has no interest in photos, I happened on Windows Gallery and found over 8,000 strange items not photos. At one point I was informed there are 863 PAGES of them -- unbelievable!

Spent many hours deleting indiviually duplicates and pictures which were only geometric designs. Then I found that what I deleted came back forthwith. Obviously there has to be a way to keep them off, and equally obvious it must be done wholesale rather than individually.
(I should live so long!)

On FIXIT and here on another Major Geeks forum and Digital Photography forum, I learned that a page full could be deleted via bringing up one item and noting/deleting its tag. Part of this requires removal of two MSN Hidden Files: PICTURES.PD4 & NAVTREE.STATE.

And this is to be done via Ctrl Panel/Folder Options/View Tab/Hidden Files/Folders/Show whereupon the two files are to be found and deleted.
I could get no further than SHOW. There was nothing with those two files or any others.

Even if there had been I was to enter C:/roduke/AppDataLocalMicrosoftWindowsPhotoGallery.
Then reopen again and it will regenerate all photos then emails and tag info for these images have them.
(If this doesn't make sense I can only agree, but wanted to give you what I got.)

FIXIT has a different URL starting with Vista64.com, ending How-Delete-Tags-Textbox.html, but I didn't get anywhere with it either.

Next Googled the two files/programs and was given several refences as to their removal. However, when I tried, up came not found.

If only a few dozen real family photos weren't mixed in among the multitude of these useless duplocates and indescribable nothings I could delete it all.

What is inexplicable is how these thousands of items got there, where they came from. what purpose they serve and how to avoid any repetition. Whether you have any experience with this or not, I should like to know the answers.

The Attachment illustrates a single screen of which there are hundreds!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users