Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Budget Build

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 spdfrk78

spdfrk78

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:05 AM

About a week ago my trusty 8yr old eMachine desktop took it's last breath. I was surprised I got as much use out of it as I did. My first thought was "upgrade". Wrong. My system was so out of date that anything I did would not be much of an upgrade.

For sometime now I have been wanting to build a system to take advantage of the availability of streaming video. Right know I have a laptop that works great for this purpose but why watch a movie on a 15" screen when I have a 40" LCD monitor in the house. What I really planned on doing was putting a parts list together and comparing the price to a ready built system from a retailer. A few months ago while cleaning out a storage room at work I came across a desktop that the boss was going to throw out. I asked if I could have it not really knowing if it was of any use to me or not.

Here is what I brought home:

Dell HP Desktop (Small Form Factor Case)
Intel Celeron Processor
40 Gb Seagate Barracuda Harddrive
Manufacture Date: 2005
Windows XP Home Edition

Posted Image

Parts List:

I want to use the current motherboard to keep the cost down and obviously reuse the case.

CPU

Memory

Harddrive

Videocard

One question I do have since I've never done anything like this before is --- How can I tell if all this will work with the motherboard I currently have (i.e. I don't know what type of CPU Socket I have)?
Toshiba Satellite Laptop
Hoping to build some type of "Hot Rod" multi-media machine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:05 AM

The hard drive should work

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...en/ug/specs.htm

Small form-factor computer
one bay for a 1-inch-high hard drive

Edited by DaChew, 28 July 2009 - 02:18 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:32 AM

If it is a GX260 or GX270 they both had a issue with the motherboard failing.
Apparently the capacitors overheat & fail due to poor air circulation though the case.

Read this thread,

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13709831

If it is a GX260-270

I would inspect the motherboard capacitors & see if any have bulged /domed tops or leakage.
I would also look at the back of it.
Dell's usually have a sticker that show the actual manufacture date.

If you look around the power button what model does it show ?

You provided a link to a socket 775 CPU & I'm not sure it will work on that old of a Dell.

I have a Optiplex 170L here, Ship Date: 4/4/2006 [off of Dell site], that makes it around 3 years old & it is a Socket 478.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 snkzato1

snkzato1

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:09 AM

heh, there were about a million of these at my university up until last year.

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:05 PM

That case was used for MANY different models from the GX115 Pentium 3 up.
I have a stack of black Dell "clamshell's" out back & the newest one is a GX150.
It's ompossible to glance at one & say that a GX??? .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 spdfrk78

spdfrk78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:22 AM

I kind of figured these computers were a dime a dozen. I work for a Texas based Grocery store chain and every store has this same system in every office. I guess the consensus is to replace the motherboard. After starting this thread last night, I did a little more research and learned that I probably wouldn't be able to use a PCI Express Video Card. So I will probably go with my original plan of just using the case. Without a motherboard and power supply I'm up to $289.96

Can any one recommend a processor and motherboard combo that will perform well for streaming video?

Also, I'm having trouble finding a power supply for this type of case. According to the newegg power supply calculator I need just over 300W . I figure I'll go with a 400W. The one in the case is only 160W I don't think this will be able to handle the hardware I plan on adding.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. I'm used to building offroad Jeeps not computers so I appreciates everyone's help. :thumbsup:
Toshiba Satellite Laptop

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:43 AM

You would be much better off buying a cheap tower case & a decent power supply.
Those dells use a proprietary power supply that is pretty weak & can't be upgraded.
You would also be very lucky to mount a different motherboard in that case.
Those "clamshell" dell's just aren't conducive to do custom builds.
Save yourself a lot of hassle !

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:28 AM

Those "clamshell" dell's just aren't conducive to do custom builds.
Save yourself a lot of hassle !

No truer words spoken.

Those small cases are about a proprietary as it gets, it won't even fit full size PCI/PCIE cards.
Get a proper case so you don't have to put up with the misery of trying to make things fit in that Dell.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#9 Ingle

Ingle

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:27 PM

If you're going for cheap this should work. If you want decent and fairly cheap, this would work.

Really it depends what your total budget is, it sounds like you don't need much so you can easily get away with a $40 case or less. Best to be determined once you find out what internals you want and get a case to fit them. It's much easier than trying to fit internals to a case.

#10 spdfrk78

spdfrk78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:39 AM

Thanks Igle. I like the Cool Master. I'm working on a new wish list. Price still comes in at just under $300. Still better than some of the pre-built ones I've looked at.
Toshiba Satellite Laptop

#11 spdfrk78

spdfrk78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:09 AM

This is what I've come up with so far.

Case

I'm assuming that m-Atx in the case description means Micro Atx.

Motherboard
CPU
CPU and Motherboard combo, so I know they work together

Memory
HDD
powersupply

How does this look?
Toshiba Satellite Laptop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users