Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Format drive and delete partitions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:58 PM

I put a new drive in my machine, I now have a 160G Maxtor that I want to clean and use for a backup drive. I am running XP SP3, I went into manage in my computer clicked the drive I could add a partition but did not figure out how to delete the existing one. The primary is only 20G my mistake when I put the machine together, I would like to make it into a 40G primary and 120 extended. Seems like I should be able to do it within Windows! Any ideas appreciated.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:19 PM

Kept fooling around with manage and did get the partition deleted, but the drive shows 152.625G as its capacity down from the label of 160G. Any idea about where the 7+G went, not that I think I will need it just curious!

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:23 PM

<<I put a new drive in my machine, I now have a 160G Maxtor that I want to clean and use for a backup drive.>>

If by clean, you mean format...that's fairly straightforward. Did you install XP on the new drive?

<<I am running XP SP3, I went into manage in my computer clicked the drive I could add a partition but did not figure out how to delete the existing one.>>

Which drive are you referring to here?

<<The primary is only 20G my mistake when I put the machine together, I would like to make it into a 40G primary and 120 extended.>>

Why is that a mistake? Each of my system partitions is 20GB and I have 10GB of free space on my C: on this system. I don't store pictures, music, and/or videos on my C: partition, there's no reason to do such.

In any case...(IMO) your partitions should not be set up as primary and extended...each should be a primary partition. The problem that I see with creating extended partitions is that it makes resizing options more complicated in the future as well as creating an unnecessary bond between the two partitions.

As for adjusting the size...XP won't allow for that. To change the sizes of the partitions established, you have to use one of the many tools that facilitate such. These are called partition managers and you can Google and get an idea of what's available, free and paid and they will facilitate adjusting the sizes of existing partitions.

Louis

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:36 PM

Use this tool to manage your partitions : EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition
In it, right-click on partition and select delete or resize move. Simple :thumbsup:

http://www.partition-tool.com/

I think hamluis suggested it in another post and I have fallen in love with it :flowers:

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:12 AM

the drive shows 152.625G as its capacity down from the label of 160G. Any idea about where the 7+G went, not that I think I will need it just curious!

Even if you did need it, it was never there! :thumbsup:

The figure given for hard drive capacity varies depending on how it is reported. Hard drive manufacturers specify capacity in SI units as a power of ten, computers generally report size in binary units (power of 2) or sometimes an amalgam of the two.

Looks like your second figure is the mixed result. 160G in SI Gigabytes is 149G binary (Gibibytes), so the 152.6 figure is either using 1024x1000 as a Megabyte, or the 160G capacity is actually a bit more generous than the bare 160. This could be worked out from the total number of logical blocks specified on the drive.

Edited by Platypus, 28 July 2009 - 07:13 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users