Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE 6 History doesn't works propperly

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 luka

luka

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 12 July 2005 - 04:32 PM

I have Windows 2000 and Internet explorer 6 (6.0.2800.1106IS) with service pack 1 and whatever i visit on the internet can not be viewed offline. The content is there in Temporary Internet Folder, but somehow IE cannot link itself withit.

This problem occurred when i removed some ad-ware from my computer by using NortonAntiVirus and deleting registry values which that ad-ware added. Those values were all related with startpage, defaultpage, defaulturl and other common homepage hijackers values. And they were all in folders like "HKLM/../IE/Main" or "HKCU/../IE/Main" and so. After deleting all that, IE could't make "new memories", or to be precise: it stored data visited on the net into Temporary Internet folder but it couldn't display it offline. Only data which could be displayed was the old one, the one before the accident with ad-ware and deletion of reg keys. Since that data is erased after IE history expiration period, there is fewer and fewer offline content that can be viewed. There is a "side effect": all *.jpg images which i try save to my computer from IE can only be saved in *.bmp format! I tried with reinstalling the IE but it doesn't work. I don't know if there is a Repair option for Windows 2000 and would that work?

It seems that i have deleted all the viruses and ad-ware from my computer, so it looks like the problem is system related. Maybe it needs just one or two registry keys to be added which i deleted. Help anyone?

Thanks
Luka

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2005 - 07:30 PM

First of all, you need to download SP 2. If you have a decent firewall, make sure you disable the Windows firewall after installing SP 2 as it turns it "on" as a default setting. If you don't have a decent firewall - download one and then disable the Windows firewall.

The Windows firewall does not give you any protection against trojans sending data out or any other malware that is sending data from your computer. Most other firewalls do and there are several freeware aps available.
Here are two good ones:
Software firewalls with freeware versions
Zone Alarm SE: http://www.zonealarm.com/
Sygate: http://www.sygate.com/

Then you need to reinstall IE as you have obviously deleted some things it needs in the registry.

#3 luka

luka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 07:28 AM

Thanks for advice, but i already have a firewall installed and it is the latest version of ZoneAlarmPro. I also enable NortonAntiVirus to scan on-the-fly while i'm on the internet. But i didn't have installed any Service Packs on my computer until last night...

... last night after sending my post i installed newer version of Internet Explorer with service pack 1. It didn't fix my problem with history, so i installed even newer version of Internet Explorer with service pack 2 and even that didn't work! So i inserted my Win2000 disc and "upgraded/repaired" the windows. And the history still doesn't work!!! Although the system is faster now :thumbsup:

Is there somewhere a list of registry keys involved with history that i can compare with my reg keys?

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 07:58 AM

If you’re still encountering major problems with Internet Explorer it may be necessary to perform a repair installation. Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs. Double click Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Tools.

Select Repair Internet Explorer and hit Ok. This will fix any detected errors in your Internet Explorer installation. Reboot for the changes to take effect.
http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/ie6/index.shtml

#5 luka

luka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 09:01 AM

No, that didn't work too. It looks like everything of components is there: every dll, exe and other data too. Just those damn registry keys are missing, and i don't know how the windows didn't fixed it while reinstalling/upgradeing, on top of all it installed IE5!

Maybe you could post a list of keys from HKLM/../IE/Main and HKCU/../IE/Main for me to check is everything there. Only thing is i don't know if there is difference between 2000 and XP reg keys, in that case i wouldn't dare to mess around again.

But thanks for that constructive suggestion on IE repair!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users