Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

coolant on my video card

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MirrorImage

MirrorImage

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:20 PM

Well to start i had bought a thermaltake tribe off ebay, New.

Went on vacation, had the computer off.

Came back turned it on did something else for a maybe 20 mins than check my computer and no video response. looked around than noticed a pool of coolant on the video card. Immediately panicked and turned it off. Well long story short the block that came with it has an acrylic top, that now has 3 cracks in it, not sure how but very poor design is my guess.

The coolant only got on the back of my video card and maybe a little in the slot.

Computer will now not post. my guess is the motherboard is shot along with the video card. Are my assumptions correct? I've unplugged most of everything and let it sit without being on and trying to blow out any reminates of the coolant that might be in the slot. with still no post or even error beeps.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:52 PM

The coolany used in liquid cooled units is supposed to be non-conductive so no damage is done if it leaks .

If you lost enough coolant the video card & possibly the CPU could be heat damaged.

If the motherboard chipset had a cooling block on it the chipset may have been fried due to overheating.

What did you use for cooling after the liquid cooling failed ?

Have you tried a different vide card >

Other then that if the proper coolant or distilled water wasn't used I would say it's fried.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 MirrorImage

MirrorImage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:30 PM

I def didnt loose enough for it to stop working and have it over heat.

It was only a minor leak a small little puddle, i only tried once to turn in back on and no post.

so im just guessing its fried.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:04 PM

You need to either fix the liquid cooling or get rid of it & go to stock air cooling.
One thing for sure, it isn't going to work with a broken cooling syatem.

BTW, is there a cooling block on the motherboard chipset or a stock heatsink ?
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 MirrorImage

MirrorImage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:50 PM

You need to either fix the liquid cooling or get rid of it & go to stock air cooling.
One thing for sure, it isn't going to work with a broken cooling syatem.

BTW, is there a cooling block on the motherboard chipset or a stock heatsink ?

this isnt the topic im trying to talk about.

i know i have to fix it, the cpu block had cracked for some reason and leaked and now the computer wont post.

found a small pool of coolant on my vid card, and around the pci slot. computer wont post.

stock heatsink's on the chipsets.

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:36 PM

"found a small pool of coolant on my vid card, and around the pci slot. computer wont post."

We seem to be going in circles.

I understood what was wrong the first time you said it.

What have you done to fix the leak ?

Edited by fairjoeblue, 28 July 2009 - 12:28 AM.

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:27 AM

have you tried a different video card ?

It it has onboard video as well as a card remove the card & hook the monitor to the onboard.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:29 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductRevie...1&Keywords=
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:08 AM

IMO. ThermalTake is another co that USED to make decent products.

The last couple of TT heatsink/fans I bought didn't seem to be of quality I expected.

#10 MirrorImage

MirrorImage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:21 AM

IMO. ThermalTake is another co that USED to make decent products.

The last couple of TT heatsink/fans I bought didn't seem to be of quality I expected.

ok ok everyone follow me here.

I already know my problem with the liquid cooling system. The block needs to be replaced because its cracked and unusable i know this.

all im asking is i found a little coolant on my video card that was touching the PCI slot, NOW MY COMPUTER WONT POST, DOES THIS SIGNIFY THAT MY BOARD IS FRIED?

im not one to use caps but this is my question, and the answer im seaking.

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:41 AM

My son spilled some coke in on his video card, don't ask. It fried the video card, we tried one of mine in the agp slot, it fried that video card. We used a bright light and saw some scorched contacts in the agp slot. The motherboard worked fine with a pci video card.

You are asking an impossible to answer question.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#12 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:42 AM

ok ok follow me here.

If you have not changed the video card & tried it you don't know what's bad .
You are not going to see a display & the unit probably isn't going to work real well if the video card is fried.

I doubt anybody can say whether or not the motherboard is fried unless YOU start troubleshooting it somewhere.
A couple of suggestions have been made but I don't see any "I tried that" posts.

#13 MirrorImage

MirrorImage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:52 AM

ok ok follow me here.

If you have not changed the video card & tried it you don't know what's bad .
You are not going to see a display & the unit probably isn't going to work real well if the video card is fried.

I doubt anybody can say whether or not the motherboard is fried unless YOU start troubleshooting it somewhere.
A couple of suggestions have been made but I don't see any "I tried that" posts.

ok ok if i dont have a video card in the slot should the system post when i turn it on? or even get beeps pertaining to errors?

#14 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:52 AM

IF the motherboard has a built in speaker OR there is a speaker attached to the motherboard & you remove the video card it should beep.

I don't know enough about your computer to say for a fact whether or not it will beep with no video.
[mine won't but I don't like, or need, the speaker so I took it out of the case.]

If you have no video card , or onboard video hooked up it is not going to post & if it did you wouldn't be able to see it.

I've already offered the best advice pretty much anybody can give, other then take it to a shop.

If the unit has a speaker, NOT the external speakers, remiove ALL of the memory & turn it on.
If it has a speaker it should beep.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 28 July 2009 - 10:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users