Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Many Problems with my computer

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 darkknite

darkknite

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:55 PM

My computer has been hit by a virus or malware or something a couple weeks ago. The infection made it impossible to run .exe and other file extentions. Running something would have the "windows cannot open this file...Use a web serice to find appropriate program..."and so on. It was troublesome but I managed to fix it. After I fixed that after a very long time, I had to fix some file extensions like .gif, .reg and so on. After fixing most of them, I tried Internet Explorer so then I can see if there are any updates. It opened then closed. It took me a while to uninstall it so then it can revert back to Internet Explorer 6 (It was IE 8 at the time I think). It took me a while because the Add/Remove program list was corrupted (Odd Entries, most of them didn't have the Remove/Change button, some entries didn't show up...) I had to go into safe mode and everything and by dumb luck I managed to uninstall it. Now that it's Internet Explorer 6, it actually stayed open but with no address bar. I tried fixing that but it didn't work. I posted a HijackThis log on the forums and it didn't really help me even after following all the step correctly. THe person who helped with the logs told me to come here since they said it could be something to do with Windows XP.

So in summary, my computer had an infection, most things didn't work, fixed some and now the ones that are left are really annoying me.

Here are the problems that I have right now:
-Add/Remove Programs has odd entries and some of them don't have the remove button
-Internet explorer 6 doesn't have the address bar
-Internet explorer 7 gets stuck at "Customize you settings". Can't close or anything unless I got to task manager to end process (thought problem was fixed)
-Internet explorer 7 and 8 opens and then closes (after I tried to uninstall it)
-Some file extensions, such as .dll , doesn't have the "Open" or "Run as..."when right clicked; they have "Cut", "Copy" and so on
-Windows Installer and Installshield doesn't work (for windows installer, it just freezes up and for Installshield error code 0x80040706 pops up)
-When I right click the desktop, and go to "New" all it shows is "Folder", Shortcut" , "Microsoft Word Document" and "Compressed (Zipped) Folder"
-explorer.exe takes along time opening "My Computer"

For the Installshield problem, I tried almost everything that can be found on Google. Most of them lead me back to the same forums that I had visited and lead me to this link .

I am seriously getting sick and tired of looking at the same website over and over again for the same frigging problem. And please don't tell me to follow the steps of what the guide said because that didn't work and the same error pops up because Installshield doesn't seem to be smart enough to make their Installshield solutions NOT run Installshield since the problem is INSTALLSHIELD.

<----- sorry that was me ranting because it's summer and I don't have much to do and whenever I want to try to install a game it pops up mocking me...

So in conclusion, the other problem could be bypassed one way or another, such as using Mozilla Firefox to browse the internet and using Auslogics BoostSpeed to uninstall programs (Apparently, the Add/Remove programs list that's included works perfectly, while CCleaner also has the same problem as the windows Add/Remove Programs).

P.S I want to try to get this fixed ASAP since summers' almost halfway done and I just wasted almost half of my summer trying to fix the problems.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:02 PM

Try running this tool:

http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix#Standard_version
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 darkknite

darkknite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:55 PM

Thanks Budapest,

I looked around Dial-A-Fix Tools and found out how to revert back to Internet Explorer 6, but the address bar still isn't there. I selected everything but I still get the Installshield error.

Is there another program that can fix the other problems?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:07 PM

Have you tried the fixes given here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888019
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 darkknite

darkknite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 01:47 PM

Well followed the instructions on the website given, but I couldn't do one step and could not go on. The step was when it told me to Right click the Installer folder, click properties and click the "security" tab. I did not have a security tab so I could not move one. The only tabs I had were "General, "Sharing" and Customize".

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:38 PM

Try running this scan:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/131299/how-to-use-sdfix/

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 darkknite

darkknite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:22 PM

Ok, I ran the scan as Budapest said and the results are attached.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:30 PM

Any improvement?

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 darkknite

darkknite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 01:30 PM

Not much improvement but I think the problems may have something to do with registry keys since I once read that the Add/Remove programs list can be altered through registry keys. Also, since Internet Explorer 7 and 8 aren't working that well and Installshield fails to work, maybe it also has to do with registry keys. I'm not saying it is but it could be. Since I don't know much about registry keys, that could be a problem.

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:30 PM

You could try the System File Checker.

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 darkknite

darkknite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 01:57 PM

Well I tried it and it asked for the Windows XP CD (which I have) because of something to do with DLL cache. I inserted the CD and waited for it to finish. After it finished I restarted the PC just to be on the safe side and the problems still remain. I think this is becoming hopeless...

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:16 PM

Try this fix to get your Security tab back:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/07/19/m...p-professional/

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:43 PM

FWIW: XP Home does not have the Security Tab enabled natively...but it can be added easily (I've done this with my systems, it makes life easier for XP Home users).

How Do I See the Security tab in XP Home (Doug Knox) - http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_home_sectab.htm

How To See the Security Tab in XP Home - http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/windo...-Tab-in-XP-Home

Louis

#14 darkknite

darkknite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:18 PM

Well I got the Security tab thanks to hamluis because i couldn't find the “Use simple file sharing (Recommended)” box mentioned on the instructions that Budapest posted. So now that I have the Security tab, I did the steps mentioned on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888019 . I stopped at the "Reinstall Windows XP" part since the last time I did, the computer crashed and I had to reformat the computer.

#15 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 04:46 PM

You could try reinstalling SP3.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users