Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google searches redirecting

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#16 DancinProf

DancinProf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:47 AM

Okay, I uninstalled WildTangent and deleted the files you listed, including those for LimeWire. I don't see any more problems at this point. A couple of questions:

Is it okay to run Norton AntiVirus just to see if it works, since it was not working before?

Can I reconnect his computer to the Internet? I've kept it disconnected except when connecting was necessary to run a scan (Panda, etc.).

Speaking of Norton, can you recommend a different antivirus product? My husband and I are both frustrated that we are paying for Norton every year but it is obviously not detecting & fixing the type of problem his computer had (maybe we should not expect that antivirus makers will always stay ahead of the hackers?). Also, I've found that Norton is a big resource hog--slows my computer way down if I have to use it while Norton is running. I've heard good things about AVG and it is free. What do you think?

Thank you SO much for all your help. I consider myself fairly computer-savvy but this has been way beyond anything I could have solved on my own.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:55 AM

Hi!

Is it okay to run Norton AntiVirus just to see if it works, since it was not working before?

Yes :)

Can I reconnect his computer to the Internet? I've kept it disconnected except when connecting was necessary to run a scan (Panda, etc.).

Well done on that! :thumbup2: Yes, you can now reconnect

Speaking of Norton, can you recommend a different antivirus product? My husband and I are both frustrated that we are paying for Norton every year but it is obviously not detecting & fixing the type of problem his computer had (maybe we should not expect that antivirus makers will always stay ahead of the hackers?). Also, I've found that Norton is a big resource hog--slows my computer way down if I have to use it while Norton is running. I've heard good things about AVG and it is free. What do you think?

Yes, I don't like Norton for the same reason you stated. It's a big resource hog, and if you look at the logs, you'll see a huge number of services belonging to Norton.

Three good antivirus programs free for non-commercial home use are Avast! and Antivir and AVG Antivirus
I use AVG Antivirus and find that it's quite decent, but they are all effective.
**Note: You should only have one antivirus installed at a time. Having more than one antivirus program installed at once is likely to cause conflicts and may well decrease your overall protection as well as impairing the performance of your PC.

Thank you SO much for all your help. I consider myself fairly computer-savvy but this has been way beyond anything I could have solved on my own.

No problem! Glad to help! :)

Please reply back once you've tried out everything, just to make sure everything's fine.

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#18 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:45 AM

Hello DancinProf
Are you still with us?

unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#19 DancinProf

DancinProf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:23 AM

Hello DancinProf
Are you still with us?

Yes! Sorry--this week got busy. Everything looks good with my husband's computer; he has not seen any further problems. Thank you again!

#20 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:57 AM

Hello, DancinProf.
Not a problem at all. Glad to help out :thumbup2:

For all intensive purposes, we're done, and have got a little cleanup to do, which involves uninstalling combofix (and then just a few updates which you can do at your own leisure). I've posted up a few recommendations as well.

We need to uninstall Combofix
  • Click on your Start Menu, then Run....
  • Now type combofix /u in the runbox and click OK. Notice the space between the "x" and "/".

We need to update your version of Windows Vista

Your log shows that Windows is not up to date with the current patches that are available. I strongly suggest that you update to Service Pack 2.
  • Please run Windows Update through the Start menu to initiate the update process.
  • A list of updates will come up, and select Windows Vista Service Pack 2 from the list.
  • Windows will automatically download the update and install it.
  • Once that update is complete, please run Windows Update one more time.
  • Please select all the critical and recommended updates when given the option to do so. This selection will install the required security updates that will reduce your chance of getting infected again.

Your Log looks Clean please take the time to read below to secure your machine and take the necessary steps to keep it Clean :)

One of the most common questions found when cleaning Spyware or other Malware is "how did my machine get infected?". There are a variety of reasons, but the most common ones are that you are going to sites that you are not practicing Safe Internet, you are not running the proper security software, and that your computer's security settings are set too low.

Below I have outlined a series of categories that outline how you can increase the security of your computer so that you will not be infected again in the future.

Practice Safe Internet

One of the main reasons people get infected in the first place is that they are not practicing Safe Internet. You practice Safe Internet when you educate yourself on how to properly use the Internet through the use of security tools and good practice. Knowing how you can get infected and what types of files and sites to avoid will be the most crucial step in keeping your computer malware free. The reality is that the majority of people who are infected with malware are ones who click on things they shouldn't be clicking on. Whether these things are files or sites it doesn't really matter. If something is out to get you, and you click on it, it most likely will. Below are a list of simple precautions to take to keep your computer clean and running securely:
  • If you receive an attachment from someone you do not know, DO NOT OPEN IT! Simple as that. Opening attachments from people you do not know is a very common method for viruses or worms to infect your computer.
  • If you receive an attachment and it ends with a .exe, .com, .bat, or .pif do not open the attachment unless you know for a fact that it is clean. For the casual computer user, you will almost never receive a valid attachment of this type.
  • If you receive an attachment from someone you know, and it looks suspicious, then it probably is. The email could be from someone you know infected with a malware that is trying to infect everyone in their address book.
  • If you are browsing the Internet and a popup appears saying that you are infected, ignore it!. These are, as far as I am concerned, scams that are being used to scare you into purchasing a piece of software. For an example of these types of popups, or Foistware, you should read this article: Foistware, And how to avoid it.
    There are also programs that disguise themselves as Anti-Spyware or security products but are instead scams. For a list of these types of programs we recommend you visit this link: Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites
  • Another tactic to fool you on the web is when a site displays a popup that looks like a normal Windows message or alert. When you click on them, though, they instead bring you to another site that is trying to push a product on you. We suggest that you close these windows by clicking on the X instead of the OK button. Alternatively, you can check to see if it's a real alert by right-clicking on the window. If there is a menu that comes up saying Add to Favorites... you know it's a fake.
  • Do not go to adult sites. I know this may bother some of you, but the fact is that a large amount of malware is pushed through these types of sites. I am not saying all adult sites do this, but a lot do.
  • When using an Instant Messaging program be cautious about clicking on links people send to you. It is not uncommon for infections to send a message to everyone in the infected person's contact list that contains a link to an infection. Instead when you receive a message that contains a link, message back to the person asking if it is legit before you click on it.
  • Stay away from Warez and Crack sites! In addition to the obvious copyright issues, the downloads from these sites are typically overrun with infections.
  • Be careful of what you download off of web sites and Peer-2-Peer networks. Some sites disguise malware as legitimate software to trick you into installing them and Peer-2-Peer networks are crawling with it. If you want to download a piece of software a from a site, and are not sure if they are legitimate, you can use McAfee Siteadvisor to look up info on the site.
  • DO NOT INSTALL any software without first reading the End User License Agreement, otherwise known as the EULA. A tactic that some developers use is to offer their software for free, but have spyware and other programs you do not want bundled with it. This is where they make their money. By reading the agreement there is a good chance you can spot this and not install the software.
Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently
It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

Make Internet Explorer 6 and below more secure
  • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
  • Click once on the Security tab
  • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
  • Click once on the Custom Level button.
    • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
    • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
    • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
    • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
    • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
    • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt

When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button. If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
  • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
Update your AntiVirus Software

It is imperative that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out. If you use a commercial antivirus program you must make sure you keep renewing your subscription. Otherwise, once your subscription runs out, you may not be able to update the programs virus definitions.

Make sure your applications have all of their updates

It is also possible for other programs on your computer to have security vulnerability that can allow malware to infect you. Therefore, it is also a good idea to check for the latest versions of commonly installed applications that are regularly patched to fix vulnerabilities. You can check these by visiting Secunia Software Inspector and Calendar of Updates.

Use a Firewall
Your log doesn't show a third-party software firewall installed and running. As a two-way firewall is an extra layer of security installed onto computers, I recommend that you download, install and use one of these good (and free) third-party firewall products:
  • Sunbelt Personal Firewall
  • Comodo Free Firewall
    NOTE: Only install the firewall software and do NOT install the antivirus software bundled with it (uncheck "Install COMODO Antivirus"). Also uncheck during installation "Install COMODO Hopsurf Toolbar", "Make Ask.com my default search provider", and "Make Hopsurf.com my homepage".
**Note: You should only have one firewall installed at a time. Having more than one firewall program installed at once is likely to cause conflicts and may well decrease your overall protection as well as impairing the performance of your PC.

If you decide to install a third party firewall, make sure that the Windows firewall is not running and if it is, deactivate it.

Alternatively, if you don't want to install and use a third-party two-way software firewall and want to stay with the build-in Windows Vista firewall, please configure it to your liking and protection. Vista's build-in firewall is a two-way firewall that has outbound filtering disabled by default. The best explanation was that it was too complicated for end-users to use so they had that feature turned off as well as hidden. To turn on outbound filtering and configure:
  • Click on the Start button and type in wf.msc, then hit Enter.
  • This operation needs allowance: click on Continue.
  • When the comprehensive Windows Firewall with Advanced Security management interface pops up, turn on outbound filtering and configure rules for incoming as well as outgoing connections.
Also see BleepingComputer's excellent tutorial to help using and understanding a firewall: Understanding and Using Firewalls.

Install SpywareBlaster

SpywareBlaster will add a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.

A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware
Update all these programs regularly
Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.
Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

unite_blue.png

#21 htv8

htv8

• Members
  • 1,694 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:23 AM

As the problem here seems to be resolved, this topic is now closed.
If you need this topic reopened, please PM a staff member and we will reopen it for you (include the address of this thread in your request). This applies to the original topic starter only. If you should have a new issue, please start a new topic. Everyone else with similar problems, please start a new topic.
If I have not posted back within 24 hours, feel free to send me a PM with your topic link.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users