Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP deluxe Protector removal

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 dpardee

dpardee

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:00 PM

please help me get this nasty thing away from me!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:24 PM

Hello, dpardee.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer. My name is etavares and I will be helping you with your log.

Please give me a little time to go through your log. I'd also like to let you know that I am in training here at BC. At each stage of the process, my work will be checked by an expert coach. That means there may be a slight delay between my responses as they check it. Don't worry, we won't leave you.

Please note that I may have taken this log out of order. As a HJT trainee, I occasionally take logs out of order to further develop my skills. I have a balance of older logs (e.g. first come, first served) and fresh logs. If you are reading this and are still waiting, please be patient. Our volunteers are working as hard we as we can to help everyone.

Here's a few things to get started:
  • Please subscribe to this topic, if you haven't already, and wait for me to get back to you.
  • Please avoid installing/uninstalling or updating any programs and attempting any unsupervised fixes or scans. This can make helping you impossible.
  • Even if things appear better, that does not mean we are finished. Please continue to follow my instructions until I give you the all clean.
  • If at any point, you are not sure what I am asking for, please ask me and I can better communicate what I mean.
  • Please reply within 5 days of my last post or the thread will be closed. If you will be away or unable to reply, please let me know in advance so the thread is not closed. We have many folks waiting for help and it is not fair to keep an unresponsive thread open.
  • Please reply to this post so I know you are there.

Thanks!

If I don't respond within 2 days, please feel free to PM me.
Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:54 PM

Hello, dpardee.

Step 1
I see Viewpoint is installed on your machine. Viewpoint Manager is considered as foistware instead of malware since it is installed without users approval but doesn't spy or do anything "bad". This changed from what we know in 2006...read this article:

http://www.clickz.com/news/article.php/3561546

I suggest you remove the program now. Go to the Control Panel, then Add or Remove Programs uninstall the following if they exist: Viewpoint, Viewpoint Manager, Viewpoint Media Player.

Step 2
I see your antivirus program is outdated.
It is very important to keep your antivirus program up to date. Please update it now.

To run LiveUpdate from the Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition interface
  • Start Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition, or double-click the icon in the system tray near the clock.
  • Click LiveUpdate.
  • Follow the on-screen prompts to download the latest definitions.

Step 3
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Step 4
Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

If MBAM will not run, please right-click on MBAM.exe, select rename, and name it to dpardee.exe and try running the renamed file.

In your reply, please include the following. Please cut and paste the logs into your reply instead of attaching.
  • MBAM log
  • Fresh DDS log
  • A description of any remaining symptoms

Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image

#4 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:07 PM

Hello-

Do you still require assistance? Please let me know or this thread may be closed in 2 days.

Posted Image

#5 kahdah

kahdah

• Security Colleague
  • 11,138 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:48 PM

Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with address of this thread. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
Please do not pm for help, post it in the forums instead.

If I am helping you and have not responded for 48 hours please send me a pm as I don't always get notifications.

My help is always free, however, if you would like to make a donation to me for the help I have provided please click here Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users