Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Terminal Services Won't Start - Event 7023

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mattpeg

mattpeg

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 02:38 PM

Alright. Here's what's going on:

Fast User Switching Compatibility service won't start because it depends on the Terminal Services service. The terminal service will not start either. I am suspecting that these errors are also what is halting the explorer. The system regularly produces the following errors in the event viewer:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7023
Date: 7/27/2009
Time: 11:35:01 AM
User: N/A
Computer: EEP_01
Description:
The Terminal Services service terminated with the following error:
The specified module could not be found.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7001
Date: 7/27/2009
Time: 10:55:00 AM
User: N/A
Computer: EEP_01
Description:
The Fast User Switching Compatibility service depends on the Terminal Services service which failed to start because of the following error:
The specified module could not be found.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

"The specified module could not be found." is sort of an ambiguous diagnosis. I've researched and attempted the following fixes:

1. I had an Ethernet card that was not operational because I couldn't find the correct drivers. I located and installed the drivers and it is now working properly in the device manager.
2. I turned on the Windows Firewall due to some related issues in SP2 where services would fail after disabling this service. I am currently using sp3 but I figure it couldn't hurt.
3. I have run sfc /scannow in the command prompt.
4. I have updated the registry entry via http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm. tip # 163
5. I have replaced termsrv.dll in C:\WINDOWS\system32 and C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
6. Ran Combofix.exe

None of these fixes have repaired the problem. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mattpeg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:24 PM

Start/Run...type services.msc and hit Enter.

Scroll down to Terminal Services. What is the status...what is the startup type reflected?

Louis

#3 mattpeg

mattpeg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:34 PM

Louis,

Thanks for the reply. Terminal Services is not running. When I double click on it a pop up says "Configuration Manager: The specified device instance handle does not correspond to a present device." After I click ok, the startup type is set to Automatic. When I attempt to manually start the service it says "Could not start the Terminal Services on Local Computer. Error 126: The specified module could not be found.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks,

mattpeg

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:00 PM

I'd say that you have two options:

a. Follow the procedure detailed at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959077 for Windows Server 2003. The procedure should apply to XP, as well as WS 2003.

b. Run sfc /scannow with the appropriate SP-level and version of XP reflected on the CD...as is reflected on the system. If system runs XP Home, SP3, then the CD used to run sfc /scannow must reflect XP Home, SP3.

Of course, it would simplify things if you have access to another system and can simply copy any file which might be missing...but, based on what you have listed as performed tasks...I'd suggest doing the sfc /scannow or a repair install.

There may be other system files missing or damaged by your problems/efforts.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users