Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iTunes, syncing, and external hard drives

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 02:07 PM

I'm trying to pinpoint an issue I'm having in 7 RC x64. I have an iPod Touch which requires iTunes to sync music with it, and my music directory is on an external hard drive.

When listening to music, the drive and iTunes perform just fine. iTunes also finds and works with my iPod Touch, until I decide to sync music. The iPod disconnects from the bus, my external hard drive stops, and iTunes freezes for about 10 minutes until it spits back an "iPod device timed out" error. I have to restart my computer to use my hard drive again.

I'm not sure if this is an issue with my hard drive, iPod, iTunes, or 7. I was using Vista and XP for a long time and the iPod always synced just fine with the music on my external. I have had issues in the past with 7 failing to read my hard drive randomly, but that seems to have stopped as of recent.

Is anyone else having issues with iTunes, or USB devices, in 7?

P.S. I even tried an x86 XP VirtualBox, but the same thing happens. I don't want to install another permanent OS, as I seem to do it every week anyway :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:06 AM

I updated to 7 RTM (MSDN) and I'm still having similar issues, and so are a few of my co-workers and friends.

Turns out it's an issue with either Windows 7 and how it manages USB devices or the NForce system drivers. It's a USB issue, not an iTunes issue like I originally thought. I can't copy anything large to my USB devices - the system's CPU usage shoots sky high and all my USB devices disconnect. The only way I've found to fix it is to do a complete reboot. It's really inconvenient and frustrating when I can't use my external hard drive...

Is anyone else having this issue with their USB drives?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users