Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive sizes

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ingjr

Ingjr

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:48 PM

Looking into adding a hard drive to my system. It is a Gateway LX6810-01 media center with a spot for 2 removable hard-drives. Slide a front panel down and there are 2 slide-out trays that hold the hard drive. My problem is I'm a bit confused as to hard-drive sizing. I see 3.5", 5 1/4", and sometimes 2.5". Also, the heights have me a bit confused. I see different heights listed which I'm confused on also. I know that the speed it spins makes a difference also, but will I see a BIG performance difference with the faster traveling drives? One last question, will the different speeds, sizes, etc., be compatable with my current hard-drive? It's a 640GB. Anyone willing to give a small tutorial on this I would greatly appreciated it. TIA, Don Jr.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:14 PM

Hard drives that fit into desktop PC's are of the 3.5 inch variety. Laptop hard drives are smaller. I don't believe there are many 5.25 inch hard drives out, that size is usually for optical drives. A faster spinning hard drive will make a difference in terms of performance, but so will the connection the drive has to your motherboard. There are two types of connections a drive can have PATA (a.k.a. IDE) and SATA. PATA is older and slower, whereas SATA is newer and faster. After looking up your PC's specs at Gateway, I discovered that your PC uses SATA II. SATA II drives are compatible with SATA drives, but for best performance, SATA II drives are suggested. Most platter-based hard drives will last for about five years before they break. Remember, anything with moving parts will wear out eventually. There are solid state disks (SSD) that have no moving parts. SSD's will last longer and are very fast, but are expensive and have a lower capacity.

Western Digital Caviar Green WD7500AADS 750GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive <<<This hard drive should work in your PC, just make sure you have the appropriate cables on hand so you can connect it.

SUPER TALENT MasterDrive RX FTM12GE25H 2.5" 512GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) <<<One of the solid state disks I mentioned.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users