Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fleamour

fleamour

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:46 PM

When trying to restore My Documents from partition D to the C partition I get this error:

Cannot create or replace system volume information: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not in use.

The drive is in good health & I have full administrative rights. Safe mode makes no difference. I want to restore Windows to one partition to make way for Linux.
ASRock Conroe (micro ATX) - Ubuntu 12.04/Win 7 Ultimate (x86)
Intel C2D E8400 3.0GHz/low profile Noctua (single fan)
4GB OCZ DDR2 RAM, GeForce GT220 1024MB

Vintage IBM-T21 laptop, Xubuntu Lucid LTS
512MB KingSpec RAM, 1GHz CPU [T22 Fan], Wireless-G PCMCIA, 7200RPM HDD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fleamour

fleamour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:28 PM

System volume information is a hidden file. The only way I could get it to work was to add folder permissions for administrator account, then when moved remove them. No idea why this error crops up as should all be dealt with silently by system???
ASRock Conroe (micro ATX) - Ubuntu 12.04/Win 7 Ultimate (x86)
Intel C2D E8400 3.0GHz/low profile Noctua (single fan)
4GB OCZ DDR2 RAM, GeForce GT220 1024MB

Vintage IBM-T21 laptop, Xubuntu Lucid LTS
512MB KingSpec RAM, 1GHz CPU [T22 Fan], Wireless-G PCMCIA, 7200RPM HDD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users