Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CMOS Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dreamear

dreamear

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 12 July 2005 - 03:40 PM

Ok, We were having hard drive problems so my fiance took the hard drive out of the pc and gave the pc the kiss of death by also removing the CMOS battery. Yeah, without thinking it was my bright idea to remove the battery see I bought a new one in the watch section of Walmart and didn't trust it was "really" a CMOS battery so I wanted to have the guy at the pc store look at it and make sure it was real.... any by the way.. it was!!!

Anyway, so he put in the CMOS battery and plugged in a spanking new harddrive... it's blank so we have to load the operating system. The problem is he gets an error about there is no CMOS Settings, nothing he can do gets rid of it and the computer goes no further.

Any advice?

We have an AMD 1150 motherboard if that helps.

Thanks for any advice...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jcxhc

jcxhc

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 12 July 2005 - 04:18 PM

There shoud be a jumper not too far away from the battery, would be labled cmos reset, or jp4. Make sure it is still intact, and in the correct position.

#3 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 12 July 2005 - 06:25 PM

There shoud be a jumper not too far away from the battery, would be labled cmos reset, or jp4. Make sure it is still intact, and in the correct position.

You first need to clear the old CMOS with that jumper. To do this just move the jumper to the next post for 30sec or so and then move it back to the correct position. Reboot then it should work.
Another thing is your new harddrive set as the master or on cable select and not as a slave?

Edited by phatcat42141, 12 July 2005 - 06:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users