Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Numerous errors and system lock-up

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 newbeee

newbeee

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 12 July 2005 - 03:28 PM

I've got problems and hope someone can help. I'm current on all critical updates and was current with NAV2003. Run Adaware Personal without a problem When I run NAV2003, it will lock up my system.( I can run nav if I scan a few files at a time, I'm clean and can run symantec virus check on line and it's clean) I just removed Nav, tried E-trust free scanner, then everything locks up. The errors go so fast that I can't write them down. I did get one that appeared at the top of my screen: An exception OE has occurred at 0028:C00B324D in VxD---. This was called from 0028:C0058C37 in VxD VTDAPI(01) + 00000133 attempting to run ETrust. If I try ETrust, a few files at a time, it runs clean, then the lock up came when I scanned options in windows. :thumbsup:
I manually shut down, go to safe mode and scan, fix all errors.
Sometimes when I reboot to normal mode, I'll get "Windows Protection error. You need to restart your computer, system halted.
Help, is my old Dell Dimension 4100 dying? :flowers:
Another error I copied that was at top of screen An exception OE has occurred at 0028:C2A3BF1 in VxD---. This was called from 0028:C001D324 in VxD---.
I can't run Spybot, it locks up my system
Any help would be greatly appreciated
newbeee
Windows Me

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 13 July 2005 - 11:21 AM

Hi 0028 IS the drivers for this device are not installed After downloading a compatible driver for the device, click the Upadate driver button and follow prompts to install the new driver.

iF THAT does not work then a complete reinstall might have to be the answer.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 just_a_nobody

just_a_nobody

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 13 July 2005 - 02:18 PM

Try doing a restore from a known good point. I would uninstall Nav 2003, and install AVG free: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download886.html

If you can't do a restore, then you may have to do what thedon57 recommends, however, I would try first to get whatever data, I could, off the HDD, if you have another HDD that you can use. Perhaps, you could slave that HDD to the computer that you are using on this forum.

Edited by just_a_nobody, 13 July 2005 - 02:19 PM.

#4 newbeee

newbeee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 04:10 PM

Thank you for replying
thedon57, I'm not to sharp with puters, what driver and which device? I have no yellow or question marks in device manager. Do I have to go to the Dell site to update driver(s)?
just a nobody, I did completely remove NAV2003 today. I have had problems with it for years locking up my system. I did load AVG7. A system restore would be out of the question because I can't remember how long ago this system went without lockups, shutdowns and errors. But, today was extremely excessive(of course I was trying to do on-line virus scanning)
I keep everything cleaned out (with ccleaner),defrag and through scan disk.
I have 18.6GB hard drive with 15.3GB free, maybe I need more ram.
I do have everything backed up on CD's if I have to do a clean install :thumbsup:
Any help will be greatly appreciated,
newbeee
p.s. (edit) I am on my system now, I can get it to run , it just doesn't like to do things that put stress on it :flowers:

Edited by newbeee, 13 July 2005 - 04:13 PM.

#5 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 05:04 PM

VXD is the device and a driver needs updating yes try the dell site also you have not said how much ram you have .
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#6 newbeee

newbeee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 05:59 PM

Hi there again,
I only have 128MB so I just ordered 2 256MB 168-Pin DIMM 32MX64 SDRAM UNBUFF PC133 CL2 LOW PROFILE upgrade for Dell Dimension 4100 from Crucial. :thumbsup:
I'll check with the Dell site about updating that driver. Will Everest tell me which VxD device I have so I know what to update? (told you I don't know much about putters so please excuse my ignorance)
I can stay on this computer all day without problems till I stress it out with virus scanning or spybot.
I can't afford to upgrade to XP because I would have to replace my 2 printers and scanner, they are not compatable with XP.
thank you,
newbeee

#7 randyrayd

randyrayd

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 06:03 PM

I had tons of problems switching from NAV to another AV. You may have to COMPLETELY remove NAV with rnav.exe. It seems remnants hang around and cause havoc. Here's a link to explain:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/archive/index.php/t-4238.html

Randall

#8 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 07:11 PM

yes everest should give you a complete read out. glad to of helped you keep in contact and let us no what outcome is

#9 newbeee

newbeee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:05 PM

Yep, I first removed all of norton and symantec stuff from the add/remove, did a search for files and folders pretaining to norton and symantec, removed all, then ran the rnav.exe twice and defrag. I haven't gone into the registry yet, but if I have problems, I'll delete those entries also.
I hope I don't have to do a clean install, but I may not have a choice.
Just got another error when I started up file name:VMM(01) + 0000AA21 Error:OE:0028 C000BA21 followed by other errors, I just shut it down
What a mess :thumbsup:
Thanks everyone, I'll be back
newbeee

#10 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:41 PM

Yep, I first removed all of norton and symantec stuff from the add/remove, did a search for files and folders pretaining to norton and symantec, removed all, then ran the rnav.exe twice and defrag. I haven't gone into the registry yet, but if I have problems, I'll delete those entries also.
I hope I don't have to do a clean install, but I may not have a choice.
Just got another error when I started up file name:VMM(01) + 0000AA21 Error:OE:0028 C000BA21 followed by other errors, I just shut it down
What a mess :thumbsup:
Thanks everyone, I'll be back
newbeee

I have seen this too many times when someone has had Nortons or McAffee on thier computers. Your best bet is to save the files that you really want to keep to a disk and then do a full format and reinstall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users