Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FIRST QUESTION!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Reena

Reena

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:09 AM

This morning my daughter telephoned to say my 10 year old grandson is is floods of tears. Apparently a would-be-co-player of one of Grandson's favourite games has somehow caused his game to crash. He has lost three years' play and weapons which he had saved up to purchase.

The "opponent" threatened my Grandson if he wasn't allowed to join in and he then carried out his threat.

Obviously Grandson has been very stupid. He gave out his password in spite of the fact that we have always warned him to be on his guard on line.

Is there any way we can somehow get his game back to Level 14?

I don't know the details so I cannot post them here. If the answer to my question is a resounding "No" then the details are unnecessary anyway.

I have always had great help from bleeping computer experts and subscribers and if you say "He will have to mark it down to experience," then I agree with you!

My THANKS anyway.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:30 AM

What game is it?

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#3 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:31 PM

Apologies, scff249, for not replying sooner. I could not access the site.

The game in question is TECH QUEST. I believe my son-in-law has tried to restore Level 14 but has been unable to do so.

#4 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:46 PM

It's okay. The site had some ISP issues and whatnot. I don't know the exact details, but I think they got it fixed now.

I can't find anything on a game called Tech Quest unless you meant MechQuest, which the home page is found here: http://www.mechquest.com/

Also, I don't think they can restore it. Their ToS is oddly worded, so I'm not completely sure on what they're saying........

7.1 PASSWORD SECURITY.
You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your Password and you will be held responsible for all uses of your Password, whether or not authorized by you. Also, note that the security of your account is your responsibility. Company is not responsible in the event that your account is “hacked”, or if your account or your computer is damaged by a virus, or of any other issues with your computer or your account. You agree to notify Company immediately on any unauthorized use of your account, user name, or password. If you report your account stolen, hacked, or in any way compromised, Company will suspend the account while the matter is investigated. Following this investigation, Company will determine appropriate course of action in its sole and absolute discretion. Importantly, Company shall not be liable for any loss or changes in your account that you incur as a result of someone else using your password, either with or without your knowledge. You may be held liable for any losses incurred by Company, its affiliates, officers, directors, employees, consultants, agents, and representatives due to someone else’s use of your account or password.

Again, I'm not sure if they can. I highly doubt that they could restore it to its original state before the crash, but you may want to try still. If so, make sure a detailed response of what happened, when it happened, and who was involved is given to their support so that proper actions/help can be given. Your grandson was foolish enough to give out his password, but what I'm concerned about is the part where his game supposedly crashed and he lost all of his data. I'm not sure if it was caused by some code that the other sent, if it was some unrelated event (such as losing connection or a power outage or whatnot), or if it didn't crash at all and that his character (during the events that the other user had access) was deleted and modified or something (of course, this is unlikely). I'm not even sure on what I'm saying with only 4 hours of sleep :thumbsup:

What I'm saying.....contact the company and see what they can do while giving them a detailed message about what happened and whatnot (as well as the user who was involved). At best, they could POSSIBLY restore the account to at least the level. At worst, they can't do anything at all about the account (which I'm betting this will happen).

Sorry if I'm vague or somehow saying something in an odd way. Again, 4 hours of sleep cuts some of my thought processes. If you have any questions of what I'm saying, you can go ahead and ask.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#5 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:30 PM

Thank you for that helpful reply. I have passed it on to our son-in-law and left him to deal with it.

.................and listen to Grandma : Get some sleep!! :thumbsup:

Edited by Reena, 30 July 2009 - 01:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users