Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless adapter keep getting disabled.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 finance professional

finance professional

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:42 AM

Dear members,

I have a Acer TravelMate 4335 laptop. The wireless card is Intel® Wireless Wifi Link 5100. I installed the driver which came in CD with laptop.

Few days back I scanned the wifi driver at Intel's site which asked me to update it with another driver. I did so and the name started showing as Intel® Wifi Link 5100 AGN. After I installed this driver, while surfing, the wifi adapter would disappear from system (from Network Connections, device manager). I dont even see it listed under Network Adapters in Device Manager. I would keep restarting and at after few tries the laptop would detect it ... and again the adapter would disappear again after some time. :thumbsup:

So I did a Update Driver with my old driver. But now the adapter doesnt disappear, but gets disabled and I cant enable it. And I have to restart again to do the internet connection. :flowers:

So inshort now the adapter doesnt disappear but gets disabled.

I am really sick of this now .... Plz someone do help me on this ... Would highly appreciate it ...

Thanks and regards ..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:39 PM

When you updated the first time, did you uninstall the old driver? When you upgraded again back to the old driver, did you uninstall?

I would uninstall the whole thing: in device manager, add/remove programs and anywhere else it might be. Reboot the laptop. Then install it using the CD, because you know it worked. See if a clean install works.

Normally drivers are updated because they fix an issue people have had with old drivers OR they add something that the old drivers were lacking. If the driver you have is working just fine, then I wouldn't worry about updating it. The time to look at new drivers is when its not doing something you need it to.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 finance professional

finance professional
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:00 PM

When the new driver screwed up, so I again did a "update driver" with my old driver. But I think the system didnt took my old driver so I did uninstallation of new driver and installed the old driver. But still at times, "sometimes" my new driver pops up.

Is there any way that I can completely uninstall (other than normal uninstallation) my new driver?

I thought that just like software updates, drivers too are to be updated regularly. I installed Driver Genius (a software which automatically searches for updated drivers) and it showed me that my system has few outdated drivers.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:49 PM

Go into device manager...right click on the adapter and uninstall. Then go to Add/Remove programs and remove any software listed there for the adapter. I reboot after I do something like that....then install it all fresh.

If you look at the driver's info on the site you download it from it normally tells you what the driver fixes or addresses or whatever. And normally updating drivers doesn't do anything bad but like anything 1 out of 1000 or whatever messes up. You were the 1 lol.

Good luck =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 finance professional

finance professional
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:48 AM

Thanks for your consideration, CaveDweller ....

Well I did uninstallation as you said many times and installed my old driver .. but still the adapter keeps getting disabled now and than ... i really dont know what to do ... :thumbsup:

Any fresh ideas as to what the solution can be?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users