Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser AOL9 starts automatically

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rulepar

rulepar

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 06 September 2004 - 07:42 AM

I have installed two computers with aol9. (one under XP and one under Win98).

On both, as soon as one runs AOL9, the browser starts up without being asked.

On the XP one, in addition it searches for the word INTRADTEST37 and finds no reply.

Someone else on the net has the same problem (see google)

I have run HiJack, Spybot, Spysweeper, AOL spy detect, Purge, (on the XP computer) and the problem continues .

I assume that it's either a bug in the AOL9 programme or a hijack on the XP computer. Not knowing what DLL is invoked (if there is one) when one initiates the browser, it's not easy to find what file if any has been replaced by a hijack.

So far AOL technical support have not been able to help.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

Rulepar

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 lobsterj

lobsterj

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2004 - 03:07 PM

you didnt say what you have tried so far, did you check the usual? make sure auto start features are set to none? (right click on aol icon in sys tray choose auto start options) check msconfig?

yeah, good luck with that one :thumbsup:
JANET
HPpavilion 4530 ~win 98 and 2k~188MB Ram~IE6~OE6~
AOL 9 se~Mozilla 1.7~

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2004 - 10:44 PM

If you want to post a hijackthis log in the hijackthis forums, someone can take a look and tell you if its a hijack or not

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 06 September 2004 - 11:38 PM

I thought AOL got in trouble for that. Yeah, I read somewhere that 'AOL technical support' is false advertising.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#5 tsimonl

tsimonl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2004 - 05:22 AM

Don't think its a hijak - answer is that you are using AOL UK software while holding an AOL FRance account - the UK Software is looking for elements of the UK "Welcome .......(username) " screen on the French server and French Aol software is trying to find its way through to you - only choice to avoid this is to un-install the UK Version and replace it with the French version.

You will also find several AOL shortcuts will not function properly (such as renewing your credit card details online)

hope this helps

#6 peteparis

peteparis

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2004 - 05:56 AM

I have a fairly complete diagnosis to the problem which seems to have no immediate solution.

I live in France and subscribe to AOL France. Being English I much prefer having my AOL browser in English and a few years ago I successfully instaled the US English version of AOL over the top of my previously French browser and have been able to update it over time to now be AOL 9.0. It works in most respects although the greeting screen is the US screen as are most of the news links. So far so good! The one thing that functions fairly indifferently is the AOL keyword facility. Sometimes keywords work and sometimes they dont and when they dont I always get the French AOL search engine looking for what must be an English keyword, one which does not exist on the French AOL server. I deduce therefore that AOL subscribers get primary input from the country server rather than some central AOL site (which makes sense) and because most keywords are language specific, the browser cannot find those alien to the national server.

But apart from that the US version of AOL 9.0 functions OK in France.

I recently installed the new UK AOL 9.0 version, because it had new features and it would be nice to see UK based news and weather at start-up. But when I did so I immediately got the deadly AOL screen searching for "intradtest37" as one of my startup screen panels. I deduce that one of the AOLstart up screens has a call to a UK based keyword "intradtest37" somehow hard-wired into it. Hence when I startup the browser starts looking for something which is not on the French server. So the problem boils down to language specifics hard wired into the national based AOL browser. As I know of no way to specify country of origin settings and the AOL browser for the UK continues to include the relevant component, I see no way to avoid the "error" message.

As I said above the US version seems to work (so far) and I will stick with it unless there is a solution to the issue or someone here can anyone advise me on how to change the UK AOL browser home page settings? While you are at it, can anyone tell me how to reset the AOL File Cabinet folder location? Having installed successive version I am losing archived mail which is undetected by the AOL installation program.

#7 peteparis

peteparis

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2004 - 04:57 AM

I have got one a step further.

Checking through the hidden system files which guide the AOL 9 browser, I find mention of "intradtest37" in what seems to be a key file:

Documents/All Users/Applications/AOL/C_AOL 9.0/idb/main.idx

Experimenting between US and UK versions of this file, I note that it defines the precise form and configuration of actions from AOL logon screen to browser start-up. Swapping the same file from the US version into the UK version gives a US based start up (and vice versa).

The US version of main.idx has no mention of ´ntradtest37, whilst the UK version has 3 mentions. To date I am unable to edit the file, which seems to be a mix of code and java, though much of it can be read in notepad or file editors.
Nor do I know if the file contents are themselves generated by another file or interaction with the actual AOL statup.

One thing I do notice is that a clean installation of UK AOL 9.0 without making an actual logon has no mention of "intradtest" at all, so maybe it is something which gets written or updated during actual logon.

Maybe someone more familiar with the structure of the AOL 9 browser can advise.

Still no response from AOL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users