Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just taking a second opinion

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 dfk789

dfk789

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:30 AM

My pc has been a bit funny over the last 6 months or so. Wouldn#t power on by the main power button, would have to flip the switch at the back ti kick start it. Earlier this week, it manged to turn off and I've since been unable to turn it back on, by flicking the switch or power button. Opening it up, on the inside it the motherboard light is on, and green, which I'm guessing means the motherboard itself is ok. I've tried shorting the power with a screwdriver, but that does not even give me a spark.

All this does point the the power supply having gone right?

Also, bonus question, a 300w will be enough to power 7600gt, crappy mobo, 2gb ram and athlon X2 2.2ghz? Current is 450w =/

Thanks

Edit: maybe worth mentioning, sometimes, pushing the power button on the pc, will causes the keyboard lights to flash, though no powering sound from what I can hear.

Thinking of getting this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221000 as a replacement. Seems quite fair, especially from maplins.

Edited by dfk789, 27 July 2009 - 04:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:11 AM

I've tried shorting the power with a screwdriver, but that does not even give me a spark.

WARNING.NEVER EVER ANYBODY SHORT OUT ANYTHING ELECTRICAL WITH A SCREWDRIVER. GOOD CHANCE OF ELECTROCUTION .

Edited by DSTM, 27 July 2009 - 06:19 AM.

#3 pchelp68

pchelp68

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:00 AM

I totally agree!!! :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#4 dfk789

dfk789
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:07 AM

Ok, well thanks for your concern for my safety and what not, but I'm pretty aware of what I am doing. Let's move on to the actual question I presented. Anyone willing to back my claim?

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:18 AM

Ok, well thanks for your concern for my safety and what not, but I'm pretty aware of what I am doing.

Posted Image Yeah Right.Ever heard of a Multimeter?

Edited by DSTM, 27 July 2009 - 07:19 AM.

#6 pchelp68

pchelp68

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:20 AM

Minimum is 400...

#7 dfk789

dfk789
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:44 AM

A multimeter, I have yes. Unfortunatly I do not have one, nor do I have the funds to secure one, which is why I'm actually here to ask for a second opinion. As I do not want to go and waste my money on something else that will be useless for me. In any case. Please leave this thread if you have nothing useful to say. And posting stupid large images. How great. Appreciate warning other people of the dangers, but please. I don't have time for stupidness.

400W, thanks. Will keep that in mind.

#8 pchelp68

pchelp68

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:56 AM

A multimeter, I have yes. Unfortunatly I do not have one, nor do I have the funds to secure one, which is why I'm actually here to ask for a second opinion. As I do not want to go and waste my money on something else that will be useless for me. In any case. Please leave this thread if you have nothing useful to say. And posting stupid large images. How great. Appreciate warning other people of the dangers, but please. I don't have time for stupidness.

400W, thanks. Will keep that in mind.

Do you or don't you have a Multimeter? Or is your screwdriver your Multimeter? :thumbsup:

#9 dfk789

dfk789
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:59 AM

Sorry, I could have been a bit clearer. Should have read "I have heard of one, yes." In any case, you're also not helping. Are you people really this useless? I'm asking a question and not one can give an answer.

Edited by dfk789, 27 July 2009 - 08:01 AM.

#10 pchelp68

pchelp68

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:03 AM

What is your question? I already answered it....

#11 dfk789

dfk789
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:09 AM

The thread title. Asking for a second opinion. I'm pretty sure it's my power supply. Green mobo light comes on. That is inidicating the mobo is fine right? So then it must be my power supply that is failing?

Question there is, my power supply is failing right?

I just need to be sure. As I don't have money to be wasting. And rather than any of you answering this, you've tried to joke about a few things I've said.

I appreciate your input on what power supply I need. That was helpful. Thank you.

#12 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:33 AM

If you shorted the Power Suppy with a ScrewDriver,there is a good chance that the Power Supply Fuse could be blown.
Would not advise you to investigate unless you are properly trained. Very dangerous to play with a Power Supply if you don't understand them.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_replace_a_computer_fuse

Edited by DSTM, 27 July 2009 - 08:34 AM.

#13 dfk789

dfk789
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:37 AM

When I say shorted the power supply with a screw driver, what I actually mean is the little power point on the mobo, where the power switch connect too. Did I make a mistake in explaining that before? Or is what you've posted relevant to that? Will check the link out, thanks.

Apologies for any misinterpretations.

Edited by dfk789, 27 July 2009 - 08:38 AM.

#14 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:59 AM

If you shorted any pins out on the MOBO they would be dead.The power is in the wiring coming to the MOBO.
Have a look at 2 places where power comes into the Mobo.But you have to know what your doing,believe me.

http://compreviews.about.com/od/tutorials/ss/DIYMB_8.htm

#15 dfk789

dfk789
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:41 AM

Maybe shorted isn't the word I am looking for. You know the power button at the front, connects to 2small pins on the mobo. You stick a screwdriver between them to make them connect. I wouldn't play about with mains power. I am no electrition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users