Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden Files and Folders

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:13 AM

I have Vista when i recently done a clean out i " showed hidden files and folders" to enable a particular scan to run, when i opened them i looked in the search folder, in there was hundreds maybe even thousands of files some dating right back to 1999 all the way up to the current day, due to them being in the search folder, i'm assuming these are just files and folders that have been searched over a period of time, now what i am wondering is, can they be deleted or not :huh: , and the other thing that puzzled me, :huh: , was, why on earth is there files and folders in there dating back to 1999 when i only purchased the pc in 2007 :huh: , what are these, why are they there and/ or has some one messed with my PC. An explaination would be really appreciated thankyou.

P.S Also within those files there was a batch file and when i tried to have a look at it my AV give it the no no !

Thanks DME.

Edited by doinmeedin, 27 July 2009 - 06:33 AM.

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sfger

sfger

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:12 AM

I will re-read and re-check your issue later. Please hold on, thanks

#3 doinmeedin

doinmeedin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:21 AM

I will re-read and re-check your issue later. Please hold on, thanks

Thankyou very much for your quick response but i would prefer it if one of the moderators or admin personell where to look at this issue for me, and with all the respect i have to give, i don't want things going wrong and i don't know what kind of experience you have as you have only just joined the forums today, Thanks Anyway !!!! :huh:

Edited by doinmeedin, 27 July 2009 - 06:34 AM.

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#4 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:16 AM

When I had a brand new Acer with Vista I had some folders in C/progs that predated my purchase. Some seemed to relate to Acer software, some to Microsoft software. I took a cautious view that they were old bits from the evolution of the progs that are still needed in new progs and left them alone as they seemed harmless enough.
I didn't find any such folders elsewhere, hidden or otherwise.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:32 AM

i " showed hidden files and folders" to enable a particular scan to run,

I'm going to assume that this scan you are referring to is some sort of registry cleaner?

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for a several reasons:

:huh: Registry cleaners can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines. Many users (including some Staff Members) have reported problems after using registry cleaning tools - to include those tools released by Microsoft. This can cause your system to become unbootable.

:huh: Registry cleaners generally don't do anything significant for your system. This topic discusses it in greater detail than we could address here: http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=61015 Although the topic discusses the XP registry, the concepts there apply to all other versions of Windows.

:huh: Not all registry cleaners create a backup of your registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting/logging in, then there's no backup to restore in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
-------------------------------------------

The files with the old dates are probably core Windows files
Remember they are hidden for a reason
--------------------------------

Try this application:

ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:16 AM

I'd never use a reg cleaner, I just found those files while exploring my new Vista and my new laptop. Look but don't touch ... I think the saying is??!!

#7 doinmeedin

doinmeedin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:44 AM

i " showed hidden files and folders" to enable a particular scan to run,

I'm going to assume that this scan you are referring to is some sort of registry cleaner?

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for a several reasons:

:huh: Registry cleaners can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines. Many users (including some Staff Members) have reported problems after using registry cleaning tools - to include those tools released by Microsoft. This can cause your system to become unbootable.

:huh: Registry cleaners generally don't do anything significant for your system. This topic discusses it in greater detail than we could address here: http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=61015 Although the topic discusses the XP registry, the concepts there apply to all other versions of Windows.

:huh: Not all registry cleaners create a backup of your registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting/logging in, then there's no backup to restore in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
-------------------------------------------

The files with the old dates are probably core Windows files
Remember they are hidden for a reason
--------------------------------

Try this application:

ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Thanks for your reply Garmanma, no the scan was not a registry cleaner,it was performed using another site, and it requires you to open the hidden files and folders whilst doing the scan, to enable it to scan eveything, including allowing it to scan your browsers, so as to clean absolutely everything.
I am going to run ATF Cleaner just to give me peace of mind, i will let you know what happens ! :huh:
Thankyou.

#8 doinmeedin

doinmeedin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:46 AM

Hi there Garmanma tried to download ATF and run it but my AV wouldn't let me, but it seems i have an LSO keeps popping up in C:Users AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\FlashPlayer do you know how to get rid of it ?

Edited by doinmeedin, 29 July 2009 - 11:47 AM.

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:06 PM

Many hidden system files may have modification dates that precede the date that you purchased the computer. That is because the modification is based on when the software maker modified the file. The creation date is the date it was installed on your computer.

Of course, malware can play games with dates and files too.

As for your latest post, it may be related to the infection you have posted about here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/245263/suspected-root-kit/

Therefore, I shall close this topic to avoid confusion.

Orange Blossom :huh:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users