Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice on buying a new gaming computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 munchmann32

munchmann32

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:32 PM

I am looking into buying a new gaming computer and know nothing about computers at all except how to turn them on and off and the simplest stuff, so I have no idea what I'm looking for when buying one, and oblivious to building one. I found a website that sells computers called Cyberpowerpc.com but I don't know if that is a respected site.

I am on a budget of $800 and below (tower only). I found some cool looking computers there, but I don't know if they can handle what I want them too. I like playing games. So which of these computers will do the best running the game Crysis. I don't like the game itself, but a computer that can run that game can pretty much run any other game, so I'm just using it as an example.

Here are the computers I found. If someone can tell me which one is the best, or if they just completely blow and don't be afraid to suggest another computer that you may know of :

1. http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Intel_C...7_Configurator/

2. http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Dragon_8000/

3. http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Ultra_9000_GT/

--There are a lot of computers on the site near my budget, so if someone is familiar with this site and can suggest the best computer please do so.

I picked these because they where around my price range, and I want the best I can afford. ($800)

Edited by munchmann32, 27 July 2009 - 06:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:46 AM

The second setup you posted is the best out of the two, but I couldn't get the top one to work.

The setup you posted at the bottom is really great, especially if you can get it for $800. I would try to get vista 64-bit though because I've heard xp 64-bit has a lot of issues.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 munchmann32

munchmann32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for your comment. I think I fixed the top link, and the very bottom setup sold yesterday. =/

Edited by munchmann32, 27 July 2009 - 06:19 PM.

#4 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:36 PM

Eh, I've heard bad things about that company... or maybe it was another similar one.

The all seem to lack at least one major thing that I would want upgraded.

In the end, I would probably go for the first option, BUT I would upgrade the graphics card. You want it for gaming? Then you're using your graphics card almost all of the way. I'd configure it and get the 9800GT, the one shown in the recommended(ones with pictures), and choose the EVGA brand, since its a pretty good one.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#5 munchmann32

munchmann32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:53 PM

Ok, the good thing about that site is you can customize the computer. Are the Nvidia 9800Gt's or the Radeon 4870's better.

And are these good computers to choose from, or is that just the best computer out of the three because I don't want a crappy computer.

#6 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:12 PM

Well, the first one has an i7 processor, which is the best of the three that I know of there. The other two are probably fairly close, but the i7 is the best on the market, I think.

I think they're fairly good. You know they don't come with a screen- you'll have to buy that separate. For the price overall, its a good deal IMO.

Between the 9800GTs and the Radeon 4870s, the Radeon probably edges it out, but I don't exactly know. They're really close in the end I would guess- someone else probably knows better.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#7 munchmann32

munchmann32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:43 PM

Ok thanks Vaerli for your help.

#8 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:04 AM

the 4870 is actually quite faster than a 9800GT. Definitely go for it.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#9 munchmann32

munchmann32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:45 PM

I see computers with 2 graphics card instead of one. Does having two really make that big of a difference.

#10 munchmann32

munchmann32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:33 PM

So, anyone else want to give me some advise on which computer to get?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users