Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Input Lag on many computers Running Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Theta Epsilon

Theta Epsilon

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:25 PM

Hi everyone!

I seem to be having a problem with input in certain programs (Games, DOS Programs) that I never had before.

Recently at my house I decided to format all my computers as I finished Highschool and I wanted my PC and Laptop reinstalled so I could start Fresh for College.

Unfortunately, I've been having massive problems with Input lag since the reinstall :thumbsup: I don't know what exactly causes it. The last time though I played some of the games in question (Quake 1, a few DOS games, and a few other programs) there was no Input lag but I did not have SP3 as it was not around the last time I used any of these, I just mearly was testing them the past few weeks to ensure I had them installed.

The DOS problem is Easy to fix, I have DOS Box which is great. But other things I get lag from, I don't get Lag from Office 2007 or typing on Firefox, just in some programs. I've turn up repeat rates, mouse speeds, everything I can think of. I've Scanned with Esets NOD32 and MalwareBytes with the latest Updates, I've tried different Mice, Keyboards, and even another computer (My laptop) and I can't find the source as to what is causing it. I don't think it's a hardware issue as I find it hard to believe that both my PC and my Laptop have the exact same issues.

On my Brothers Computer (SP2) they all work fine.

I need help badly with this, this lag is driving me up walls. I appreciate any help anyone can give me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:01 PM

After you did the format and reinstall did you then load all the hardware drivers?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Theta Epsilon

Theta Epsilon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:14 AM

Yes.

I also have tried it on a Vanilla Installation of Windows XP SP2 and the lag problems do not exist.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:34 PM

Have you tried using the Program Compatibility Wizard?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Theta Epsilon

Theta Epsilon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:37 PM

No, I had completely forgot about that. :thumbsup:

I gave it a shot with Windows 2000 as the Compatibility mode and that works fine and solves all the programs with issues I've tried so far. Just a bit strange that SP3 causes input lag :flowers:

Thank you!

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:39 PM

I've heard that SP3 doesn't work well with some older games.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Theta Epsilon

Theta Epsilon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:34 PM

Well, it looks like this problem wasn't fixed. The Compatibility mode works on a few, but not all programs.

Oddly enough, I do remember using some programs and games that do not work suddenly on SP3 with no problems not even 4 months ago.

I do not think it's a virus either (It could be) I've scanned with both NOD32 and Malwarebytes and they've returned nothing.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:02 PM

Which programs are you having problems with?

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 aznpos531

aznpos531

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:25 AM

I had a similar problem on my computer and it was with all programs; games, typing, internet browsing you name it, the lag was there!
I noticed it after I had removed malware from my computer. Apparently (according to some computer gurus I talked to) the removal of the malware damaged the OS and they told me the only fix is to reformat. I did so just recently, installed all the drivers and utilities, even updated to SP3 and the lag is completely gone.
Hope this helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users