Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Put in new hard drive, vista home premium won't recover

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mason.willis

mason.willis

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:22 PM

I have an hp dv2415us laptop and im on my third internal hard drive. my last one was a WD WD1600BEVS scorpio 160 GB. I had the imminent failure screen come up so i figure i might as well get a new hard drive before i lose everything, plus it still worked fine so now i have a backup. anyway, the new hard drive is the same thing but 250 GB WD2500BEVS. i physically installed it but when i put in the vista home premium recovery disc and run through the recovery it takes me back to the recovery manager screen over and over again. it seems like it's installing everything just fine, but then it goes to a blue screen for about 5 seconds and finally back to the recovery manager screen where it asks me if i want to run recovery. i have no idea what im doing so please help. thanks for the input in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,836 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:47 PM

Worth reading: http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56905 AND http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/messag...;thread.id=7683

In all honesty...I suspect that your recovery disk relied on a partition that does not exist on your new hard drive...but that's just a very wild guess from someone who has never had such issues (never owned an HP system).

Bottom line: HP has to provide instructions on how to use recovery/restore CDs/DVDs, since it's their product, tailored to their whims. Trying to use such in a manner that conflicts with their instructions/guidelines...is probably intended to meet with failure/frustration.

Louis

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:26 PM

I have to ask out of curiousity,

If Western Digital hard drives are failing why do you keep buying them ?
After the 2nd. one I would have changed brands.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 mason.willis

mason.willis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:45 PM

well I'm pretty new to doing my own repairs to my computer, and i figured the last one was because i was downloading and erasing a lot of files pretty often and i thought that might have something to do with it. this is only my second WD hard drive but my third total. if you reccommend a hard drive that you prefer that would be great. I'm just trying to get all the advice i can right now. if you have any advice to my problem that would be appreciated also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users