Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the best time of year to buy a computer?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brohammer

brohammer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:14 PM

I'm looking to buy a new laptop for myself, but I'm really not in any kind of hurry. So I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions on when the best time to get one is.

Now I know around Christmas there will be a lot of sales and such going on, so I was thinking then. But then a friend of mine told me that shortly after the holiday season manufacturers come out with new models or upgrade existing ones to have higher specifications?

Any kind of input will be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zesler

zesler

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:20 PM

Whatever you do, don't buy the computers on Black Friday. You pay for what you get and they are generally no exception. They are generally older computers of last year, etc and are generally the unwanted computers of yesterday.

Another good window to buy computers is coming up, when students are buying laptops for school. August-October months.
Posted Image

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:59 PM

In this economy?

The best time is when you have the credit/cash and want it, IMO. I think it's a pretty good time for consumers who do a little homework and don't get suckered by the latest Pavlovian conditioning that we call "advertising" :blink:.

I think the old rules have been thrown out the window by the fact that business is suffering. Prices are continually (have been continually) coming down for products which have not been priced to sell to the unknowing.

I believe the key thing is to monitor a couple of key sellers (Newegg, TigerDirect) and realize that Walmart and other typical brick-mortar stalwarts...also offer lots of merchandise online at lower prices and availability which won't be found at the brick-and-mortars.

In my era...the best time to buy many things was just after the fiscal year for that enterprise ended. Reason was...that was the typical period where entities rid themselves of excess inventory which is no longer the featured item.

The more important decision...is not when, but where, IMO.

Louis

#4 munchmann32

munchmann32

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:46 PM

If you live in one of the few states that offer the tax free weekend, like I do. That's a good time to buy one, and it's what I plan on doing.

#5 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:26 PM

It seems like the prices at very least stay the same during the summer- for college students getting a laptop for college. They've come down a bit, but it seems like they've held steady. I wouldn't buy for large holidays, but I'd sit back and do research, and when one comes along that you like, get it. Thats my policy.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users