Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE7 and FF3 often time out - firewall/network issues?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 srjefe2

srjefe2

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:59 PM

This is XP Pro SP2 on a wired network w/linksys router.

I have issues with both IE and FF sometimes not being able to connect to web sites. It seems to load most what I will call top-level domains (aol.com, cnet.com, etc) But I tend to get issues when I get deeper into the site (aol.com/suchandsuchpagename.html or suchandsuch.aol.com). I get a network time out. I played some of the internet options per MS help site but I haven't seen any improvement.

Increasingly I think it's some sort of network or firewall issue. Yesterday I couldn't connect to anything. the IE timeout screen gave me an option to troubleshoot the issue. It went through some sort of sequence and then came back that it couldn't connect to any HTTP, HTTPS, and a few other protocols. It suggested checking port settings too. I turned off windows firewall but nothing.

I ran spybot and adaware (twice each), then ran disc cleanup and then defragged my C:

Like I said, this is intermittent and that makes it really hard figure out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users