Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:59 PM
This is XP Pro SP2 on a wired network w/linksys router.
I have issues with both IE and FF sometimes not being able to connect to web sites. It seems to load most what I will call top-level domains (aol.com, cnet.com, etc) But I tend to get issues when I get deeper into the site (aol.com/suchandsuchpagename.html or suchandsuch.aol.com). I get a network time out. I played some of the internet options per MS help site but I haven't seen any improvement.
Increasingly I think it's some sort of network or firewall issue. Yesterday I couldn't connect to anything. the IE timeout screen gave me an option to troubleshoot the issue. It went through some sort of sequence and then came back that it couldn't connect to any HTTP, HTTPS, and a few other protocols. It suggested checking port settings too. I turned off windows firewall but nothing.
I ran spybot and adaware (twice each), then ran disc cleanup and then defragged my C:
Like I said, this is intermittent and that makes it really hard figure out.