Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Screen acting up after crash

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tsukiok

tsukiok

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:43 PM

My husband was playing Half Life 2 on his computer, when it suddenly crashed, pulled up a blue screen of death with strange red lines running through it, and rebooted. The bios screen had the same red lines running through it, and the following screen had $ signs going down it with some text I've never seen before (The only thing I remember in all the text was some green text that said "Normel".) Once past those two screens, we got the choose how you want to boot windows screen...and it was normal looking. We've booted in safe mode, and everything looks okay. :| What do you guys think? We're running a virus scan now in safe mode, just to check, but could it be his hard drive? Memory? Motherboard?

Thanks.

Edit:
Just rebooted. Computer didn't even make it to the login screen. Sat at a blank screen. Rebooted again. Lines still in Bios and secondary screen. Got to black screen before login again...blue screeen of death popped up with the red lines...vicious cycle. Computer WILL RUN IN SAFEMODE.

Here's a pic of the screen immediately following the BIOS screen:
Posted Image

Edited by tsukiok, 26 July 2009 - 06:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zesler

zesler

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:45 PM

My husband was playing Half Life 2 on his computer, when it suddenly crashed, pulled up a blue screen of death with strange red lines running through it, and rebooted. The bios screen had the same red lines running through it, and the following screen had $ signs going down it with some text I've never seen before (The only thing I remember in all the text was some green text that said "Normel".) Once past those two screens, we got the choose how you want to boot windows screen...and it was normal looking. We've booted in safe mode, and everything looks okay. :| What do you guys think? We're running a virus scan now in safe mode, just to check, but could it be his hard drive? Memory? Motherboard?

Thanks.

Edit:
Just rebooted. Computer didn't even make it to the login screen. Sat at a blank screen. Rebooted again. Lines still in Bios and secondary screen. Got to black screen before login again...blue screeen of death popped up with the red lines...vicious cycle. Computer WILL RUN IN SAFEMODE.

Here's a pic of the screen immediately following the BIOS screen:
Posted Image

I'm thinking you need to re-install your video drivers. Its possible that the ones in windows(normal mode) got corrupted and is having issues. (Not sure if this solves it but its worth a try.)

Edited by zesler, 26 July 2009 - 08:08 PM.

Posted Image

#3 tsukiok

tsukiok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:54 PM

All right, how do you do that when the computer won't make it to normal mode? ^^ We have my computer to work with.

0x000000116 is the error code. :X

#4 zesler

zesler

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:08 PM

You'll have to boot that computer in safe mode. You need to find the model of the graphics card(Desktop -> Right-click -> Properties -> Settings Tab (write down the name)). Search for it on-line or the manufactures site and download it. Using a flash drive, or a disc with the data, open it and run it on your umm problem computer. Once its done, restart and try.
Posted Image

#5 tsukiok

tsukiok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:21 PM

Didn't work. Same problem. nvlddmkm.sys is the file with the error. Going to take it to a computer repair store tomorrow if something magical doesn't happen tonight. :X

#6 tsukiok

tsukiok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:50 PM

LOL, won't boot in safe mode, now!

#7 tsukiok

tsukiok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:07 PM

This has been solved:

The video card went out (yay!). Got a new video card installed, and it works now! Hope this helps someone too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users