Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Most of services not running

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shoenberg3

shoenberg3

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:32 PM

Hello, new here with a big problem.
So, Firefox was running somewhat erratically (sporadic hiccups/network timeouts/slow startup), so I foolishly did two things at once.
I downloaded regrun and ran its virus scanner and hastily deleted suspicious files (6 of them). To confound the issue, I, noticing some SVCHOST process taking up a lot of cpu load, proceeded to disable and stop "Task Scheduler" and "Help and Support" on services.
Around this time, while deleting the files from virus scanner and disabling the services, the 60 second shutdown warning displayed and proceeded to reboot. On the first reboot, an error page was displayed, noting that some processes could not be started.

Although the rest of bootup was normal, when I finally got to desktop, I realized that none of the local services (those that would have Username or System under the User Name tab on task manager) was running except system idle process. Only ctfmon, mmc, explorer, lsass, services, winlogon, crss, smss, system are running on bootup. None of SVCHOST processes were running, not surprisingly.
On services (accessed by run ->services.msc) , everything but "event log" and "plug and play" did not run, although many of these are set to automatic. When I attempt to manually start some of these (such as system restore) I encounter the error 1068: the dependency service or gropu failed to start. Right click-properties on these services do not work at all (does not respond).

Doing the same things on safe mode yields identical results.

Thank you for reading; I hope I can get this resolved.

Edited by shoenberg3, 26 July 2009 - 06:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:56 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Do you have a Microsoft XP install CD?

Louis

#3 shoenberg3

shoenberg3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:05 PM

Yessir but the CD Rom is bust on the laptop.
:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users