Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Strange Graphics/Monitor Problem?HELP!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Stu G

Stu G

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 12 July 2005 - 01:18 PM

Hello Everyone,

This is my first Post on the forum, or any forum infact. I just say HELLO! and how great this site is.

I have just built a new computer (time to upgrade). The computer has worked superb for first 7 days.

General Spec.

3.2ghz Pentium (Socket 775(T))
1.25GB Ram
5.1 Innoax Pro Sound Card.
Sata 160gb Maxtor
IDE 80gb Maxtor
Radeon ATI X600 256mb PCI-E

My new monitor is a TFT/LCD AG NEOVO F-417

I have searched and searched the net to find a solution, with no luck.

PROBLEM:

Firstly when i turn on the Base Unit , My monitor will not turn on, as if there is no power going through it, but there is as i see a DULL amber light. When Base unit is off, TFT can power up, but as computer is not on there is "no signal" . To use the TFT i have to "jump-start" it by plugging old CRT into Graphics card(X600) then shutting down and plugging TFT in, this works. I have uninstalled drivers , reversed drivers, Refresh rates etc.. did not work.

Recently i have been getting total crash blue screen "Driver_Irql_Not_less_or Equal". So i thought it must of been a IRQ conflict, i found no conflicts! I then though this error msg was due to the Page File , since this error Message i have selected "no paging file". Not had it since.

Is this signal loss with the Graphics Card or just faulty TFT monitor. However i tested my TFT on Laptop works fine (tested for 20 hours). Also The Old CRT always works with new system.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Stu
Stu G
Ada95,Java,C ANSI,C++,C♯,ASP.NET,JavaFX!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 02:12 AM

Hi Jim,

I just wrote a long post and due to a glitch it all went bye-bye. Well, here it goes again.

Welcome to bleeping.

I would turn off your computer and unplug it. Remove the video card, wait 10 seconds, and reinstall.

I don't understand 1.25 GB of Ram? Anyway, remove that and place one stick in the second slot.

Restart.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:

P.S. Sorry for the down and dirty but I lost the first post completely.

Edited by junkdk, 13 July 2005 - 02:14 AM.

Your Hardware Guide.

#3 Stu G

Stu G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 07:41 AM

Thats For The response, i have reinstalled all my PCI card and the Graphics card, i have only my Graphics card and my sounds card.

i have 1.25gb of RAm as i have one 1024mb DIMM and a 256mb DIMM, i would like to point out they are from different manufactures, Kingston (1024mb) and a unknown make from Canada(256mb). I have 4 Ram slots in my mother board.

Black AND Blue

set up like this :

BLACK (i have 1024mb installed)
BLUE (i have 256mb installed)

BLACK (nothing )
BLUE (nothing)

i hope you understand that. i am at a loss with this problem, when i got the IRAL error message, i thought it may of been ram too, i have use Windows Memory Test, using extended test. I will rearrange the RAM see how it goes , and post i will post Back. Strange i have search the net and not seen this problem before. COuld it be a Power Problem , my PSU is 480 Watt.

Regards
Stu
Stu G

#4 Stu G

Stu G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 07:43 AM

IRAL error message

IRQL error message, i meant.
Stu G

#5 Jeffro

Jeffro

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 13 July 2005 - 07:46 AM

Mabye the memory has to be in the same colored spot.

#6 Stu G

Stu G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2005 - 05:29 PM

I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!

I FOUND THE PROBLEM AND IT HAS BEEN FIXED.

SOLUTION POSTED HERE, ANYONE HAS THE SAME PROBLEM IN THE FUTURE.

MY PROBLEM WAS DUE TO A LOOSE CONNECTION. THE GRAPHICS CARD WAS NOT IN THE PCI-E SLOT CORRECTLY, WHICH CAUSED UNEXPECTED BEHAVIOR. THIS HAPPENED DUE TO THE SCREW WHICH TIGHTENS THE CARD TO THE CASE BEING TOO TIGHT! PULLING IT AWAY FROM THE PINS IN THE PCI-E CONNECTOR.

THANKS EVERYONE
REGARDS
STU
Stu G

#7 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2005 - 11:58 PM

Dear Stu,

Sorry for calling you Jim some computer difficulties.

Get rid of that 256 mb ram stick you have installed. Your computer only works as fast as the slowest RAM stick you have.

You are losing speed and that is a crime!

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#8 Stu G

Stu G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:09 PM

Both my RAM modules are the same speed PC4200 (533mhz). It the fastest on the market. Why would i lose speed?.

After all, i think i have a faulty Graphics card, it stop unexpectedly during games and i get a BLUE screen. ATI x600 PCI-E. I have tried everything, removed all card, reinstalled them, drivers, even a clean installation of XP, so i know it is not drivers, its the hardware(ATI card).

Any suggestions on What PCI-E card i should by for less that 100?. I do not think i will useATI , it will be nVidia chipset.

Is there any difference between PC4200 and PC4300?

Thanks
Stu G

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users