Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Firewall Exceptions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 HJT Noob

HJT Noob

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:23 PM

This is probably a simple question, but I couldn't find an answer on the forums:

I am trying to share my network printer attached to a Windows XP desktop with wireless laptop in another room. When I try to print on the laptop, I get the generic "Printer Spooler Service not Running" message, even though the spooler is running according to services.msc. I do not have any anti-virus programs, but when I tried turning off the default windows firewall service on my desktop, I was able to connect from the wireless laptop to the printer.

My question is simply; how can I open ports or create a firewall exception so that I do not have to turn off my windows firewall every time I want to print wirelessly? I tried installing the TCP/IP protocal 6 in both computers, and it did nothing, and according to the exceptions tab under my firewall settings, File and Printer Sharing is enabled. While I could live with having to always adjust my firewall settings, it would make my life a little easier if I didn't need to. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zesler

zesler

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:05 PM

This is probably a simple question, but I couldn't find an answer on the forums:

I am trying to share my network printer attached to a Windows XP desktop with wireless laptop in another room. When I try to print on the laptop, I get the generic "Printer Spooler Service not Running" message, even though the spooler is running according to services.msc. I do not have any anti-virus programs, but when I tried turning off the default windows firewall service on my desktop, I was able to connect from the wireless laptop to the printer.

My question is simply; how can I open ports or create a firewall exception so that I do not have to turn off my windows firewall every time I want to print wirelessly? I tried installing the TCP/IP protocal 6 in both computers, and it did nothing, and according to the exceptions tab under my firewall settings, File and Printer Sharing is enabled. While I could live with having to always adjust my firewall settings, it would make my life a little easier if I didn't need to. Thanks.

Assuming you know the port number that your printer is using.

Start > Control Panel > Security Center > Windows Firewall > Select the Exception Tab. Hit add port and name it. Make 2 ports, one for udp and one for tcp.

As for finding your port number, make a connection to the other computer.

On the other computer type ipconfig and notice the IP address.

Start > Run > Type cmd. Then type netstat. Find that IP address under Foreign Addresses. You'll see it as x.x.x.x:yy. The yy is your port number you want to add as the exception.
Posted Image

#3 HJT Noob

HJT Noob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:15 PM

Thanks, sounds pretty easy to do, I'll try it out. :thumbsup:

#4 HJT Noob

HJT Noob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:09 PM

I'm a little confused. I found that my IP address on the network computer was 192.168.1.100, and after disabling my firewall and checking netstat on my desktop, I got multiple numbers containing the IP addresss in the foreign IP address, all with different "yy" values that would change each time I typed netstat. Here's what it looks like:

Posted Image

Do I need to set a static IP possibly?

Edited by HJT Noob, 27 July 2009 - 11:06 PM.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:32 AM

Did the laptop down load the drivers for that printer? I'd still do a manual download/install of the drivers.

The other thing you can do is check that the firewall is set up correctly. Open the Windows firewall, click the exceptions tab, click on File and Printer sharing, click the Edit button. Make sure they all have check marks in them and they all have Subnet out to the right. If it doesn't have Subnet, click the ones that don't, click Change scope and change them. Click OK twice and try printing.

If none of that works, I'd start File and print sharing over fresh. Undo it all and redo it.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 HJT Noob

HJT Noob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:59 PM

Thanks for the responses.

I tried reinstalling the drivers on both my computers, checking to make sure all ports under file and printer sharing have subnet enabled, as well as disabling and then reenabling file and printer sharing, but I still can't connect - or even detect my printer once removed from printer list - without disabling the desktop's windows firewall beforehand. I still would prefer finding the port number of my laptop and adding it to my firewall exceptions list if possible, but I can't seem to find the port number with netstat. Is there any other method that I could try?

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:14 AM

The last thing I can think of is on the Advanced tab of the firewall window, there is a Restore defaults. If that doesn't work, I am not sure what to tell you. File and print sharing use the ports that Windows firewall allows so I am not sure what to tell you to forward.

On the advanced tab there is also Security logging. If you click the Settings button to the right of it, click in the box Log dropped packets and try to print, the log file might have the info.

Beyond that, I am at a loss. Sorry.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users