Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Installer Error

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 NoSpeakComputerish

NoSpeakComputerish

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:45 PM

Hello, my first post here, calling to you all out of desperation and your technological expertise! My deepest apologies if this is in the wrong forum.
I will go through my problems in chronological order as to give my problem some clarity.
Months ago, whenever I logged on as a user, a window popped up saying "Windows installer is updating.. (or installing something, bad memory)". It seemed to be frozen as the egg timer came up whenever I went over it, and it was un closable by the cancel box. It could only be closed by ctrl alt del. It never loaded anything, but popped up every time I logged on. I left it, hoping somehow it would clear itself up but it never did. It wasn't much of a bother, as everything else worked perfectly fine without it.
A few weeks back, I got a "Windows is updating... please do not turn the power off" (one of those regular updates), which was when my problem began. It never updated, I left it on all night but nothing changed, so eventually I had to pull the plug on it. From there onwards, I always have had the automatic updates try and load when I log off, but never actually loads.
Now to the crux of my problem - I tried to fix this by concluding in was something to do with Windows Installer. I read some advice on how to repair it (deleting something) which, computer illiterate as I am, obviously managed to mess up.
Now, whenever I logged on, I got an error message saying "msi.dll is missing", which, whenever I closed, reappeared. I also received error messages ("specific module could not be found") when I click on most of my programs.
Reading further into my problem, I heard CCleaner could fix this issue, so I tried running it - and I thought it had clocked it as it did mention reinstalling missing .dlls, although after further inspection it appears that just the error message had gone, the installer still appeared to be broken.
So searching further for help, I discovered that searching for the missing dll (msi.dll) and re registering it could fix it. I found the file in my D:/ and by registering a pleasuring "Successfully Registered" came up, yet Windows Installer still not working.

I am now at a loss as of what to do. I cannot find any further information. I'm really sorry the beginning is vague, my memory is very poor, but if you have any questions I will try my best to answer.

Thank you very much guys, your help is much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:48 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555175

If no joy...

You can try (first) the following: Windows Installer Cleanup Utility - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;290301

Then you can try manually installing the current XP version of WI: Windows Installer 4.5 is available - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942288
Download the redistributable package and install it from your desktop or wherever you download files to.

Automatic updates will attempt to install when the system is about to be turned off...if automatic updates is enabled. My solution for that is not to enable automatic updating...I like to take a look at them before I manually choose to install from the Windows Update website.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555175

FWIW: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa368542(VS.85).aspx

Louis

#3 NoSpeakComputerish

NoSpeakComputerish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:07 PM

msiexec /unreg - returns with Windows cannot find msiexec.. the plot thickens.
Downloaded the cleaner, opened -> specific file could not be found.
services.mac - not found.. ouch, this looks deeper than I thought.
I tried downloading the new updater, got halfway to tell me "update.exe is not a valid command".
Start up is manual, as is suggested in the first link.
5-11 in the first link a bit over complex for my technical abilities, sadly.

I think a full system wipe might be in order? I have a backup, D/ (AND COME TO THINK OF IT! I didn't find an msi.dll in my current disk, /C.. problem!)

Thanks for reply, Luis.. yet no joy as of yet. More misery as I discover how deeply damaged Mr. PC is.

Edited by NoSpeakComputerish, 26 July 2009 - 05:09 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:25 PM

OK.

There are still 2 steps you can try...before contemplating a clean install.

a. Run the sfc /scannow command. This requires an XP install CD reflecting the same SP-level as your system reflects today.

b. Repair install for XP, also requires XP install CD, etc.

FWIW: The command for services is "services.msc" not "services.mac"

Funny...I was just looking up "Windows cannot find msiexec" and the suggested response was what I have already suggested.

If you don't have an XP CD...see if you can borrow one or have someone burn you a copy (legal, the license is the real merchandise, not a CD worth less than a quarter). You could then use the obtained CD with your valid license...to do a repair or clean install.

Louis

#5 NoSpeakComputerish

NoSpeakComputerish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:34 PM

SP level? Sorry..

#6 Mr Binante

Mr Binante

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:50 PM

Windows Service-Pack level. Like Service Pack 2, Service Pack 3 etc.
I believe that's what he was referring to.

Edited by Mr Binante, 26 July 2009 - 05:51 PM.

#7 NoSpeakComputerish

NoSpeakComputerish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:51 PM

Thanks, Binante.
Oh dear, I have no idea of what SP I have. Big problem, or can I find this loafing around my computer somewhere?

#8 Mr Binante

Mr Binante

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:03 PM

Go to the Start menu and right click the "My Computer" icon. Select properties and it should be under "system:"

It will say something like:
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack X

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:06 PM

Go to Start>Control Panel>Performance and Maintenance>System. That will open a window with your OS and SP level and other information.

EDIT: Both methods work, I was just slower.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 NoSpeakComputerish

NoSpeakComputerish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:18 PM

Thanks a lot for speedy replies guys! Hmm, now to find someone who owns a Service Pack 3..

Ooh error message is back now, it is:

LuCallbackProxy.exe - Unable To Locate Component
(Red X) This application has failed to start because MSI.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Nothing was prompted, just appeared randomly.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:55 PM

LuCallbackProxy.exe is Live Update (Symantec) file, http://searchtasks.answersthatwork.com/tas...LuCallbackProxy

If you have NAV or NIS installed, any file starting with Lu will be a Live Update file.

When Live Update gets damaged or exhibits problems...it's best to just uninstall it and whatever the Symantec application is...and then reinstall same. You have to uninstall the application and the Live Update via Add/Remove Programs. Ignore the warning from LU.

I used Symantec products (by choice) the first half of this decade.

Norton Removal Tool - http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgen...;pkb=sharedtech

Louis

#12 NoSpeakComputerish

NoSpeakComputerish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:26 PM

Do you think this could be the cause of my problem, or is it just a side factor of it?
Thanks for the info.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:15 PM

I don't know if it's a cause...my impression is that your system files are pretty much in disarray...which is why I've suggested a repair install.

Contrary to what some might want to believe...I tend to think that certain computer situations have multiple causation, just due to the complex manner in which a system functions. One thing can lead to another, an error can originate in A and the effect shows up in Q...it's not as simple to troubleshoot issues as some users want to believe.

Which is probably why many of the retailers who offer "computer help" services...may tend to resort to the "let's just clean install the system" method of repair.

On my own systems, I mentally allow myself a certain amount of time to resolve apparent issues. When that time is up, I clean install because I figure that it's too complex for my ability/knowledge and I don't mind clean installs when they seem the more efficient way of dealing with trouble. I have backups and even if I didn't...I'd blame myself for not avoiding a clean install without backups.

Digression :thumbsup:: When I was in high school, we had a drill called "jug" whereby the prescribed punishment involved dividing a number by an integer and then multiplying that product by a different integer...until the student reached zero. Needless to say, no one ever reached zero :flowers: and eventually one of the priests would take pity on the student and allow him to go home.

Sometimes I think computer situations are a type of "jug" and a clean install is the relief :trumpet:. A second chance for the user to do the right thing, at the right time...so that he/she won't find herself/himself in a similar situation in the future.

Louis

#14 Mr Binante

Mr Binante

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:13 PM

Have you tried booting in safe mode? If there are important files that you would like to back up you may be able to do that in safe mode. That's assuming you want to do a clean install.
There are also various other data recovery programs if that doesn't work. Otherwise, if you have everything backed up you can just go ahead and run a clean install.

I ran Symantec products for a long time too and when I finally switched out to a free, more resource friendly AntiVirus I was happy to have made the change. You may consider switching AV programs if you do a clean install.

Edited by Mr Binante, 26 July 2009 - 09:18 PM.

#15 NoSpeakComputerish

NoSpeakComputerish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:05 AM

Yeah Binante, I used AVG before. I however contracted a nasty trojan, and my computer repair put on Kasperspy which was meant to be pretty hardcore. It ran out, and my parents already had a Norton subscription and said they'd rather IK use Norton than pay for another one. So basically Norton was there against my will, I much prefer AVG/Kasperspy.

PS: If I wanted to transfer some stuff onto the new, clean system, is it possible that I just put them all onto a disk? Or will this potentially cause further problems? Because, there isn't much on the computer I'd mind losing - just about 2gigs of music and a few bits of school work/coursework, all in all probably 5gigs of stuff.

Edited by NoSpeakComputerish, 27 July 2009 - 06:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users