Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FASTconv utility help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pastor Wade

Pastor Wade

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 12 July 2005 - 12:45 PM

In trying to recover 16GB of data when I foolishly trusted a MS product to back up AND restore my data, I'm running into problems that MS pay-per-incident help line cannot solve.

The utility fastconv.exe (available all over online, but not supported by MS) has a long command line. Other than cutting/pasting out of the readme file, does anyone know the syntax to use? I'm currently trying:

fastconv /se:\usmt2.unc /dc:\new

E is the external hd where the backup is contained, "new" is the folder at the root of my hard drive, into which I would like to backup files.

I do not get recovered data, but DO get two small (64KB) "data base" files deposited in the folder fromwhere fastconv is being run.

Any ideas?
Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 amcferrin

amcferrin

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 19 October 2005 - 11:47 PM

In trying to recover 16GB of data when I foolishly trusted a MS product to back up AND restore my data, I'm running into problems that MS pay-per-incident help line cannot solve.

The utility fastconv.exe (available all over online, but not supported by MS) has a long command line. Other than cutting/pasting out of the readme file, does anyone know the syntax to use? I'm currently trying:

E is the external hd where the backup is contained, "new" is the folder at the root of my hard drive, into which I would like to backup files.

I do not get recovered data, but DO get two small (64KB) "data base" files deposited in the folder fromwhere fastconv is being run.

Any ideas?
Thank you.

There's another thread about this but in short you should use this:

fastconv /s:e:\usmt2.unc /d:c:\new

You were missing the colons after the /s and /d.

#3 Academic

Academic

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 08 November 2005 - 05:47 PM

Any ideas?
Thank you.

Hi !

Yesterday night, I was in the same situation as you. Impossible to get my files back from the FST program. After having fly to about 1'000 forums to try to understand how the utility FASTConv have to be adressed to restore my files, I've simply make a right click on the folder USMT2.UNC and remrked that this &%*&" was in "ReadOnly" mode. I've then remove the "ReadOnly" flag and tried again the "Files and Settings Transfert Wizard (SP 2 version). And Oh! MIRACLE, it run !

If your USMT2.UNC directory is for example situated at path D:\USMT2.UNC, when you browse from the F&STWizard, simply click on the root dir where the USMT2.UNC dir is (in my example it's D:\).

Well.. Now my hard disk make a lot of noise :-) I hope that in some minutes, I've finaly retreived all my datas.

Hope my mail help all the people that are in the same desesperate situation as I was until 15 mins before.

Greetings from Switzerland !

#4 canuckstuff

canuckstuff

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 02:00 AM

I have also tried that (taking the read-only off)

But no luck

Says there is no data etc

What were you referring to when you typed "I've simply make a right click on the folder USMT2.UNC and remrked that this &%*&" was in "ReadOnly" mode"

PLEASE HELP I AM SO IN NEED OF THESE FILES!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users