Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop DVD drive error...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Fragsrus

Fragsrus

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:39 PM

Hello all,
I have a HP dv9500 laptop running Vista Home Premium x86 and the dvd drive, Slimtype DVD A DS8AZH ATA Device, is failing. When I try to burn a disc I either get a cyclic redundancy error or a power calibration error. When I try to read a burned disc it thinks it's empty. I have tried uninstalling it and letting windows pick it up again as well as updating the driver. Can anything be done besides replacing it?

Edited by Fragsrus, 26 July 2009 - 02:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:26 AM

Well, if it won't read burnt disc, but other computers will, and this problem just began, I would have to say it's probably failing. However, do regular discs read properly in the drive?

Just to be sure though, sometimes software such as Roxio or other cd creating software can cause conflicts with the way a drive burns. What program have you been using to burn with?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Fragsrus

Fragsrus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:11 AM

I tried Roxio, ImgBurn, BlazeMedia, Alcohol120%, and the built in windows program.

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:01 AM

Try uninstalling Roxio. I heard it can cause conflicts with burning in general, even with other programs.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 Fragsrus

Fragsrus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:05 PM

Try uninstalling Roxio. I heard it can cause conflicts with burning in general, even with other programs.

I just uninstalled every Roxio component and still nothing... any other ideas Sterling? or anyone else have some ideas of what to do?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:27 PM

Buy a new drive?

Cyclic redundancy errors when media is in the drive...indicates that it cannot read a disk properly.

I've never heard of a "power calibration error" but there seems to be plenty of reading material on such at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=p...ror&aqi=g10

I'd rule out the application being at fault...all of them cannot be corrupt or ssomehow otherwise at fault.

Louis

#7 Fragsrus

Fragsrus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:37 PM

Well, looks like I'll just end up replacing the darn thing. Only problem I've really had with my HP laptops is the darn drives keep going out. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users