Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformat/Reinstall XP Home

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rialta

rialta

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:45 AM

Hello,

I have Windows XP Home Edition on a Gateway desktop version 2002. It had service pack 3.

My computer was so badly messed up from viruses, trojans, rootkits, that it just couldn't be straightened out.

I reformatted. Instead of keeping to the original one drive, I partitioned it to two drives.

I did the reformat/reinstall. It wasn't until it finished that I realized I had some questions I should have asked before I did this.

I did the partition, thinking only the operating system should go on a smaller drive C. I put 15 gigs on C and 60 on D. When I go to My Computer and put the cursor over C drive it shows the info such as size and used space. When I put the cursor on D drive, the little box doesn't come up. I click on properties and it shows it's totally free space but doesn't say how much.

Does this mean D hasn't been reformatted?
Where do I install applications/programs such as the antivirus, firewall, Word, etc? On C with the operating system or D? If C, should I start over and make it bigger?
My set of disks from Gateway includes a drivers disk - I was never prompted for that.
There is no security icon in Control Panel.

The reinstall went smoothly and the computer is running nicely. I'm just at a dead end as to how to proceed. (I am using a different computer to post here.)

rialta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:35 PM

What does Gateway...state is the recommended way to use their disks to do a reinstall?

That's the procedure that you must follow, if you are using their recovery/restore disks...rather than a Microsoft XP CD.

Louis

#3 rialta

rialta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:28 PM

Duh on me! I checked the Gateway instructions - I was supposed to insert the driver disk after the XP disk finished and the desktop appeared. I am doing that now.

I'm still wondering where to install the other programs such as the antivirus etc.

Thank you!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:12 PM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users