Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel wireless connection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 flexxx

flexxx

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:07 AM

Hey everyone i was just trying to connect my hp printer to my laptop using an adhoc connection i must have done something with the wireless internet settings because now i am having trouble staying connected to the net i keep getting this prompt from my Intel Wireless trouble shooter it says "shared folder warning or unsecured network. You are connected to a network that is not configured with security and there are shared folders detected in your system"

I just started getting the following message continually popping up ďYou are connected to a network that is not configured with security and there are shared folders detected in your system.Ē (I donít know why it just started happening).

I tried researching the issue, and think that I searched for all shared folders and disabled sharing for them (but Iím not sure).

The wireless network is currently not secured,and it always has been without a problem until the printer issue last night.

The warning message suggests that to ďrepairĒ the situation, I should disable that particular warning message, and indicates how to do so.

I have 4 questions:

1) How do i find all shared folders and disable sharing them?
1) How can I search for all folders that are currently being shared and change them all so that they are no longer shared?

This is driving me nuts i keep getting connected and disconnected. This problem was not here until i messed with the wireless network while attempting to connect this HP printer.

Would appreciate any assistance.thanks alot

Edited by flexxx, 26 July 2009 - 12:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zesler

zesler

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:38 AM

1) If I have actually found all shared folders and disabled sharing for them, why does the message continue to Pop-UP? (Iíve tried re-booting, but it had no effect.)

You shouldn't. It could be a glitch/flaw or mal-ware.

1) How can I search for all folders that are currently being shared and change them all so that they are no longer shared?

I'm guessing its under my network places under control panel. I don't share folders so I don't exactly.

3) How should I go about securing my wireless network?

Firstly you want to buy a router and switch to infrastructure mode(which should solve the problem)

4) What are good reference sites and/or books to start learning about home and wireless networks for someone who is technical but currently knows little about the details of networking and network administration.

Using google helps. This also works (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/default.mspx)

I think the main issue is that your using ad-hoc mode. Using infrastructure mode with a wireless router is a better approach to networking. :thumbsup:

Edited by zesler, 26 July 2009 - 11:38 AM.

Posted Image

#3 flexxx

flexxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:47 PM

1) If I have actually found all shared folders and disabled sharing for them, why does the message continue to Pop-UP? (Iíve tried re-booting, but it had no effect.)

I'm guessing its under my network places under control panel. I don't share folders so I don't exactly.

Firstly you want to buy a router and switch to infrastructure mode(which should solve the problem)

4) What are good reference sites and/or books to start learning about home and wireless networks for someone who is technical but currently knows little about the details of networking and network administration.

Using google helps. This also works (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/default.mspx)

I think the main issue is that your using ad-hoc mode. Using infrastructure mode with a wireless router is a better approach to networking. :thumbsup:

thanks for answering. But i know its not a virus or malware, i only installed the HP printer with the original CD and then this happened seconds later.

SO how do i find all shared folders and disable them. I did not see network places under control panel?

#4 zesler

zesler

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:49 PM

thanks for answering. But i know its not a virus or malware, i only installed the HP printer with the original CD and then this happened seconds later.

SO how do i find all shared folders and disable them. I did not see network places under control panel?

Your welcome. Here is the link for disabling the shared folders (http://techiesden.com/2007/07/02/disable-the-default-shared-folder-in-xp/) Open my computer and see if you see shared documents/ etc. If you do , then you have shared folders.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users