Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video controller VGA compatible

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sleepy420

sleepy420

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:56 AM

hi im having trouble finding a driver for the Video controller i have a Compaq Presario SR5233WM Desktop PC but i locked myself outta the vista hard drive so i put a XP hard drive into it everything works except now i cant play games and its bugging me the hard drive is a seagate PATA which i bought a while back for my old XP i had that i no longer have (sold it with original hard drive) anyways to make a long story short i need a way to get into my vista hard drive or install Video Controller VGA onto the XP ( im hoping for the XP driver) thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zesler

zesler

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:56 AM

Generally you should be able to access your hard drive, if you put it into your system(assuming that your system has 2 slots) and letting it boot off of the XP drive. You could also buy an external enclosure that supports IDE/PATA drives and connect it to your computer via USB.
Posted Image

#3 sleepy420

sleepy420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:51 AM

Well i tried it but it wont work since 1 hard drive is SATA and the other is PATA and have totally different connections

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:43 PM

When you put this hard drive from a different system...into your system...did you do a clean install?

If not, then you have the drivers and settings from a different system...in conflict with your current system.

More info at Intel® Application Accelerator - Moving a Hard Drive to a New Motherboard - http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/sb/cs-009290.htm
AND Moving XP to new MB or Computer - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

If you did a clean install...then all drivers for that system...HP doesn't provide XP drivers for that system.

Vista drivers are at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...product=3577865

I've not heard of being locked out of a hard drive...exactly what do you mean?

Louis

#5 sleepy420

sleepy420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:04 PM

Im sorry but most of the info you gave me didn't make since to me i need a simple explination is there a way to get my drivers back even tho they where vista to the now XP or is there like a alternet driver for it?

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,019 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:16 PM

Do you know what video card or on board video you have? If it is a card go to "Control Panel" then select "System" in system select hardware then "Device Manager" right click the video card and it should give you a description. Once you have that then do a net search for the driver using the info you have. If it is on board video I would try using add new hardware that "might" work, problem is on board video usually requires the setup disk that came with the mother board. That would be the next step identify the MB, all the drivers for that board should be on the manufacturers site.

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 26 July 2009 - 03:17 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 sleepy420

sleepy420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:22 PM

ok i fixed it so im going to discribe what i did so others may have as much luck as i did ok i went under device manager and right clicked the missing drive then i went under details tab and selected device instance ID selected the lil ID and copied it by CTRL+C then pasted it into the brows then i searched "blahblahblah XP driver" after that i found a site which hosted the driver i was looking for i downloaded it and installed it and restarted my computer instantly everything was going much faster the screen was at normal size and everything

Thx for all your help couldn't have done it without your guidance

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,019 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:58 PM

Glad you are a "Happy Camper"!!

Phil :thumbsup:

Honesty & Integrity Above All!