Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Problem/Tower problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 winifer

winifer

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:28 AM

Hi,
Basically 2 days ago my computer was working completely fine, and has been fine since i built in almost a year ago.
When i tried it yesterday the tower powered up as normal but there was no signal to the monitor, the monitor turned on, searched for a signal then displayed that it had to signal.
From plugging in the monitor to my laptop i found it worked correctly so have determined its not the monitor or the cable for it.

The hardware im using in my computer (to the best i can remember) are;

8800Gt graphics card
500 Gb seagate harddrive
Soundblaster ultimate sound card
Asus motherboard
Inter 2.33 Quad core processer
Arctic 600 PSU
Sony Cd/Dvd drive

The thing that i feel may of caused the fault it turning the power off at the plug whilst it was still shutting down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and any further questions i will enderavor to answer :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 winifer

winifer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:54 AM

another bit of information that might help is none of my usb devices work either i.e. my mouse doesn't light up, my wireless keyobard doesn't work either

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:26 PM

Does anything give evidence...that power is being delivered to the system components?

Louis

#4 winifer

winifer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:55 PM

yes i can see power is getting to the tower as a green light shines inside the tower and the fans on the processer and Graphics card spin if thats what you mean. If you ment USB devices then no there is no evidence that i can see/think of that power is getting to them

Edited by winifer, 26 July 2009 - 02:01 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:28 PM

I notice that you did not say that the power supply fan is working...is it? It's an important fan.

Louis

#6 winifer

winifer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:08 PM

I forgot to check that, so thanks for reminding me about that. But yes it is working aswell.

One thing i have noticed when i was trying to get it to work earlier is that when i press the restart button it doesn't turn the computer off and on instantly anymore, instead it takes between 5 and 10 seconds to do it

Don't know if that indicates anything or not

#7 winifer

winifer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:01 AM

is there anyway to check if like the hard drive is shot? bar from putting it into another desktop (as i don't have another one) and is there anyway to check out other components?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:10 AM

There are good diagnostic tests for RAM and hard drives...that you can attempt.

Before doing that...I would try just reseating the RAM modules in their slots...and doing the same for the video card, if an actual card is installed, rather than using onboard video chip.

And, of course, check all connections.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/ If the diagnostic offers a long and a short test, run the long/extended test.

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool - http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

MemTest Manual - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/manual.html Outdated, but a reference.

Icrontic Diagnose with Memtest86+ - http://icrontic.com/articles/diagnose_with_memtest86

Louis

#9 winifer

winifer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 02:20 PM

Just trying to narrow down what could have bust inside my computer. A repair person said it could be ether; Motherboard, hard drive or graphics card.

My motherboard still hasa green light shining on it when power is on to the tower, does that show that its fine? or does that not show much
My graphics cards fan also still spins when power is on? does that show its fine or not
Don't know how i can check the hard drive without putting it into another tower which i don't have? any ideas?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:41 PM

Sorry...I forgot this system is seemingly dead.

Wonder why your repair person did not include RAM and power supply in his/her list of possibilities. And I've had a situation where bent/broken pins on a CPU produced a seemingly dead system.

In a situation where a system won't give any sign of life...a user almost certainly has to resort to individually swapping out parts to a different system in order to eliminate suspects. Eventually, he/she may determine the problem...but I don't think that's guaranteed.

There's no other test for a motherboard (that I know of)...than a replacement motherboard, even if it's only long enough to attempt to boot the system.

Let's wait on some other opinions from members/visitors :thumbsup:.

Louis

#11 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:23 PM

Louis pretty well covered it, my first inclination, for what it's worth, is the power supply. You say the green light on the mobo is working and the graphics card fan, but both of those components pull very little power. On the other hand, the lack of a signal to the monitor and the slowness of the unit to restart lead me to believe there is not enough juice getting to the other components.

Just my opinion, but if it were me, I'd try the PS first. You can take it and have it tested, or you can buy a power supply tester for about $20. My next suspect would be the graphics card.

Someone else should voice an opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users