Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Autoplay on DVD/CD drives

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Giovanni MPM

Giovanni MPM

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:07 AM

Hi folks - can anyone help?

My Dell computer running Windows XP will no longer autoplay discs of any kind. I have gone into the properties for the drives in Explorer and ensured the Autoplay TAb has the button at "prompt" selected but this has no effect. When I insert a disc, be it a Music CD or a Video DVD, the drive reads it and the egg timer cursor appears on the screen but that is all that happens. I then have to open the CD or DVD using the program I want such as Power DVD. In every other respect the drives (one is a DVD - one is a DVD/RW) work normally. I didn't notice when this started to be a problem and I wonder if anyone has a solution?

Edited by Giovanni MPM, 26 July 2009 - 06:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:30 AM

If it has been awhile since the case has been opened I would do so, ground yourself on the chassis then pull and reinsert the cable at both ends and maybe do a little house cleaning while you are in there.

Phil

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#3 Giovanni MPM

Giovanni MPM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:25 PM

Hi Phil
Thanks for your reply. I opened the case and did as you said and at the same time I carefully vacuumed the dust. I was surprised to see just how much dust had gathered in there. Anyway, no progress. However, in reading more of the forum entries, I read that some other members have had the same problem. It might stem from using Combo FIx and I had cause to do just that when I had a maleware problem a while back. I followed the link to microsoft's site and downloaded the autorun fix tool. After a couple of attempts, my system is back running as it should.

I see that it is not now recommended that auto run is used as some malware uses it to attack the computer. Whilst I understand the risks, I prefer to have autrorun enabled for perhaps no good reason other than the comfort of knowing that the computer is doing what it is designed to do. Poor logic I know, but there you are.

Meantime, thanks again.

Giovanni
:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users