Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Big Directx problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 mishrashubham2007

mishrashubham2007

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:39 AM

I am having a huge problem with my computer. I will tell everything from scratch, order wise. I have this annoying problem so I request whoever is trying to help me out, please be patient with me. Thank you

My specs (if it matters)

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.60 G Hz
448 MB of RAM
Windows XP Professional Version 2002
Service pack 2
VIA/S3G Unichrome IGP video card

First there were some Trojans in my computers. My AV scanned them, deleted some and quarantined the rest. So I assumed, it was all okay. Then when I tried playing music with windows media player 11, it got errors "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For additional assistance, click Web Help.". I thought, the Trojans were still there so I scanned the whole PC again and found no infections. Then I downloaded Avira AV and scanned. Still no detections.

Then I tried playing something with GOM player, which is one of my favorite media players. It gave error Cannot reset Direct Show. This software will run the system DirectX7.0 or higher installed." Then I scanned my registry with Eusing registry cleaner and Uniblue registry booster (full) and found many problems. Repaired all of them but it did not solve directx problem. So, I searched on the internet about this, no luck. I also backed up my data and tried system restore. And guess what, it didnt work aswell. I tried System restore after disabling my AV, but in vain.

Then another day I got an error from nero that some file "quartz.dll" was missing. I searched on Google and found out that I had to reinstall directx. So I downloaded it from Microsoft ( the name of the file was "dxwebsetup.exe"). I ran it, but during installation, it got some error. It was some thing related to framedyn.dll (sorry I dont remember the exact name of the error). After I clicked OK, installation went on, as if nothing had happened.

After that I tried GOM and WMP again. As usual it wont work. The strange thing is that VLC player would play all of those but not any other! Now I gave up and asked for help at bleeping computer. Please someone help.

PS: I dont have the Windows XP disc so I could just reinstall everything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:01 PM

Malware on a system...presents not only a problem from the fact that unwanted files may be installed...but also from the fact that the malware may alter files or damage such in the process of execution.

To compound this, removal of known malware objects...may also result in damage to key files.

The inability to either conduct a repair install of XP...or run the sfc /scannow command (which relies on the XP CD for clean copies of system files to replace missing or damaged system files)...is a distinct disadvantage to any XP owner/user.

To compound your situation...you have used a registry cleaner, which means that changes have been made to your registry of which you probably have no specific knowledge/understanding.

The best advice I can provide: Find someone who has a Microsoft CD for XP Pro, SP2...and use it to either run the sfc /scannow command or attempt a repair install of XP. If that can be done, then I would suggest that you immediately install SP3.

But someone may have a better idea...

Louis

#3 mishrashubham2007

mishrashubham2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:57 AM

I think I have solved this problem. First I remove directx bu deleting its registry key at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DirectX. Then I restarted my computer and tried to install directx again. And Voila! It worked, an when I tried my media players and all other programs that worked on directx, they were fine.

But there may be certain small things I might have missed out as the Trojans might have damged other system files which will only come to the spotlight when some applications depending on them fail to work.

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:16 PM

Since you have a HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, I'm going to close this Topic.

You shouldn't make any changes to your system, while your HJT log is posted, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.
At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users