Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Got an unwanted addition with a downloaded utility

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dharlee

Dharlee

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:04 AM

Hi there. i am not sure if this is the proper place to put this, but it seemed right. Forgive me as I am somewhat "computer challenged" especially compared to all of you. =)

I was trying to figure out how to convert my CDs to MP3 files and downloaded Free Rip to do so. When the download was finished I had an "eBay" shortcut on my desktop. In looking at the properties, it was placed here:
C:\Documents and Settings\my name\Application Data\Desktopicon

And it says this under it:
eBayShortcuts.exe
Mit einem Klick zu eBay
AD ON Multimedia Advertizing GmbH

It isn't listed under add/remove programs. Will this be a problem?

Again, I apologize for my ignorance. I am a senior citizen trying hard to learn the right way to do things. This is a great site and I really appreciate your help.

~Dharlee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:35 AM

When you're installing an app like that, they're supposed to give you the option of not installing the toolbar. Many users miss that and end up with a bunch of toolbars they don't need. Why do they offer the toolbar? That's how they keep the program free. I would uninstall the toolbar using Revo Uninstaller which is a great program you should have anyway and that should fix the problem.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:27 AM

First: On the license agreement page for Free Rip, at the bottom is
Install MySearch Browser Toolbar. By default, that is checked.
If you did not not uncheck it, the toolbar was installed. Remove
it using Add Remove programs or Revo Uninstaller if you don't want the toolbar.
Opinions are mixed on this toolbar-some say it isn't spyware, others say it is.
My suggestion is to download and install Revo Uninstaller
which does a better job at getting rid of files and registry keys that the Windows uninstaller will leave behind.

Second: One window of the installer is
Select Additional Tasks

One option is Install eBay desktop icons.
An eBay toolbar was not installed-it's simply an icon which takes you to eBay's website.
Easy solution if you don't want the icon-delete it from the desktop.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 26 July 2009 - 09:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users