Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my cpu keeps running at 100%

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 slurge

slurge

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:25 AM

About a week ago my pc started running slow so as most sergested i started with looking for viuses ect. when i finly stubled apon my pcu stat's why trying to game or do anything it is running at 80 to 100% to me it dosnt seem right. Iam using a AMD 3700 with 2GB RAM anyone got any ideas ? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:12 AM

You need to determine what process(s) is causing the excessive usage and go from there. Right click on the Task Bar, select Task Manager, and then Show Processes from All Users. Select the Processes tab, and then click twice on the CPU header. This will put the processes using the most resource at the top so you can more easily determine the culprit. 80 to 100% CPU Usage is way out of bounds and certainly explains why the PC is so slow.

#3 slurge

slurge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:46 PM

OK when iam sitting idle is fine as soon as i do anything it gose up eg. as iam typeing this it is as high as 50 % if i start a game it go's 70 to 100 % so it seems to be excessive no matter what iam running.

#4 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:39 PM

We know the CPU Usage is high, go back to my previous post and follow the instructions. We need to determine which process is causing the problem. Put a game on, use the keyboard, whatever, and watch the CPU column in Task Manager. What process (Image Name, left column) is running the highest usage?

#5 slurge

slurge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:20 AM

it seems to be what ever it is that iam running eg. if i open wow its the wow.exe that run's high if its me typing this letter its the iexplote.exe that starts running high. stumped at what else to try ? maby my hardwere is stuffed ?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,273 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:43 AM

In my limited experience...it is common for CPU usage to be at or close to 100%...depending on the application open and what it is doing.

When I render video, my CPU usage is at 100%, which makes sense to me.

OTOH...an AV scan reflects CPU usage of 20% or less.

I would expect any game to reflect high usage, but I don't game so I don't really know.

Iexplore.exe currently reflects 0% on this system.

IMO, the key is focusing on the application/process and doing a little investigative work.

Louis

#7 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:44 PM

iexplore.exe can also be a virus. It should be all lower case letters, Iexplore.exe (capital I) or IEXPLORE.EXE (all caps) could be an infection. Try running your virus and malware scans in Safe Mode. Louis is certainly correct in focusing on the programs running and trying to pin down the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users