Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card or Memory problem?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zeroskates

zeroskates

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:08 AM

I turned on my computer yesterday and after about 10 mins of playing WoW the image changed to different colors and all distorted. I then went to safe mode and downloaded the drivers and installed them. When i turned my computer back to normal mode it distorted and froze at the login screen. Anyone that can tell me how to fix this or what is wrong at least?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:20 AM

If you have a actual add-in video card it probably has failed.

If you have onboard [built in] video your system memory has probably failed.
[This can be tested]

If you have a add-in video card that requires a power lead from the power supply there is a slim chance your power supply is failing.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 zeroskates

zeroskates
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:41 AM

Its an add-in video card

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:11 PM

"Its an add-in video card"

I would say the video card has failed.
You need to uninstll the video card though the Device Manager & try a different video card in the unot OR try the video card in a different unit & see if it has the same problem.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 zeroskates

zeroskates
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:32 AM

well the computer runs fine in safe mode other than the yellow verticle lines running down the screen, but i tried it on a different monitor and same thing happens on there

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:21 AM

Go to the Control Panel
Double click the System icon
Click on the Harware tab
Open the Device Manager
Expand the Display Adaoters listing
Right click on the video adapter & click Uninstall on the menu
Uninstall the video adapter
Do each listed
Do not let the unit restart until all are uninstalled
Once all are uninstalled restart the unit & let the video card reinstall

If the problem is still there replace the video card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users