Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win32TrojanTDSS infection and possibly others

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 wgh

wgh

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 09:12 PM

Hello everyone! My computer keeps freezing up. I have run Ad-aware and it detects win32TrojanTDSS. Afterit detects it, it says it needs to reboot in order to get rid of it but it keeps showing on following scans. I have tried running AVG antivirus but it won't finish scanning. I have tried to run Spybot but apparently the malware is blocking it and doesn't allow it to run. I would appreciate it if someone gives it a bit of his/her time to help me out here. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:11 AM

As no logs have been posted, I am shifting this topic from the specialized HiJack This forum to the Am I Infected forum.

==>PLEASE DO NOT NOW POST LOGS<== unless a log is specifically requested.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:49 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Please subscribe to your topic so that you will be notified as soon as I post a reply, instead of you having to check the topic all of the time. This will allow you to get an email notification when I reply.

To subscribe, go to your topic, and at the top right hand corner by your first post, click the Options button and then click Track this topic. The bullet the immediate notification bubble. Then press submit.

I am sorry but I have bad news:

One or more of the identified infections is a backdoor trojan.

This allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information and download and execute files.

I would counsel you to disconnect this PC from the Internet immediately. If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.

Though the trojan has been identified and can be killed, because of it's backdoor functionality, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of trojan, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS. Please read these for more information:

How Do I Handle Possible Identity Theft, Internet Fraud, and CC Fraud?
When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall

We can still clean this machine but I can't guarantee that it will be 100% secure afterwards. Let me know what you decide to do.
Computer Pro

#4 wgh

wgh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:24 AM

Unfortunately I do not have a copy of Windows XP so it is not possible for me to reformat. Also I do not do any kind of online banking so that is not an issue. I would appreciate it if you helped me with cleaning this machine for now. Thank you.

#5 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:52 AM

Lets take a look with Malwarebytes

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here:
Malwarebytes
Please rename the file BEFORE downloading to zztoy.exe instead of mbam-setup.exe

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

Double Click zztoy.exe to install the application.
* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Full Scan", then click Scan.
* The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
* The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
* Copy&Paste the entire MBAM report (even if it does not find anything) in your next reply

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

If Malwarebytes won't install or run

Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it. Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run.
Computer Pro

#6 wgh

wgh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:07 PM

Here is the MBAM log

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.39
Database version: 2512
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

27/07/2009 3:31:29 PM
mbam-log-2009-07-27 (15-31-29).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 278817
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 1 minute(s), 27 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 18
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Folders Infected: 1
Files Infected: 12

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xml.xml (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xml.xml.1 (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{ec43e3fd-5c60-46a6-97d7-e0b85dbdd6c4} (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{500bca15-57a7-4eaf-8143-8c619470b13d} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{e24211b3-a78a-c6a9-d317-70979ace5058} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{500bca15-57a7-4eaf-8143-8c619470b13d} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{500bca15-57a7-4eaf-8143-8c619470b13d} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Cognac (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\xpreapp (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MS Juan (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\dslcnnct (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\IProxyProvider (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MS Track System (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\rdfa (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\FCOVM (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\XML (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\UAC (Rootkit.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\ColdWare (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad\SSODL (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\DivoCodec (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
c:\documents and settings\administrator\local settings\Temp\5.tmp (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\documents and settings\administrator\local settings\Temp\6.tmp (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\documents and settings\administrator\local settings\Temp\7.tmp (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\WINDOWS\msa.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\WINDOWS\msb.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\cookies.ini (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\uacinit.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
c:\WINDOWS\BM7f4945b3.xml (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\WINDOWS\BM7f4945b3.txt (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\WINDOWS\Tasks\{5B57CF47-0BFA-43c6-ACF9-3B3653DCADBA}.job (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dobipimo.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\{783AF354-B514-42d6-970E-3E8BF0A5279C}.job (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#7 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:17 PM

Ok, next, let's run RootRepeal, it looks like you have a rootkit.

Please install RootRepeal

Go HERE, and download RootRepeal.zip to your Desktop.
Tutorial with images ,if needed >> L@@K
Unzip that to your Desktop and then click RootRepeal.exe to open the scanner.

*Open the folder and double-click on RootRepeal.exe to launch it. If using Vista, right-click and Run as Administrator...
* Click on the Files tab, then click the Scan button.
* In the Select Drives, dialog Please select drives to scan: select all drives showing, then click OK.
* When the scan has completed, a list of files will be generated in the RootRepeal window.
* Click on the Save Report button and save it as rootrepeal.txt to your desktop or the same location where you ran the tool from.
* Open rootrepeal.txt in Notepad and copy/paste its contents in your next reply.
* Exit RootRepeal and be sure to re-enable your anti-virus, Firewall and any other security programs you had disabled.

Please note: If Rootrepeal fails to run, try this step: Click Settings - Options. Set the Disk Access slider to High

Note 2: If RootRepeal cannot complete a scan and results in a crash report, try repeating the scan in "Safe Mode".
Computer Pro

#8 wgh

wgh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:34 PM

I have tried running RootRepeal but when I run it, it shows repetitive error messages saying: "Could not read the boot sector. Try adjusting the Disk Access Level in the Options dialog". Then a window pops up saying "Could not find module file on disk!". Then the details show "Warning - could not read Windows kernel using raw-disk reading!" and three lines saying "Could not find module file on disk!". I changed the disk access level to high and then pressed scan and the initial error ("Could not read the boot sector. Try adjusting the Disk Access Level in the Options dialog") pops up again. Above the scan button it says "Initializing, please wait...". Am I being impatient or it is not running?

#9 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:36 PM

It could be both. Lets give it a few more minutes. If nothing has happened from there, then post back
Computer Pro

#10 wgh

wgh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:46 PM

Well nothing happens. By the way, my computer is not freezing anymore

#11 wgh

wgh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:07 AM

Dismiss the last part of my last post, my computer is freezing up again. Also there is a pop up window after Windows boots saying some error about Google Installer.

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:05 AM

There was a new version of rootrepeal just released,

Redownload it and see if it will run just a file scan

http://rootrepeal.googlepages.com/

http://rootrepeal.googlepages.com/RootRepeal.zip

Just use the file tab at the bottom, scan and paste the report into a reply here please

Posted Image
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#13 wgh

wgh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:37 AM

Hey guys I format my computer so the problem is solved. The trojan hijacked my internet browsers and was very frustrating. Anyway this topic can be closed now.
Thanks everyone for everything.

#14 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 10:36 AM

your welcome, I am sorry that it had to turn out that way

Edited by Computer Pro, 01 August 2009 - 10:36 AM.

Computer Pro

#15 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 10:58 AM

With the newest variants of this rootkit/backdoor trojan, a format and reinstall is the quickest and safest approach.

:thumbsup:
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users