Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp unable to boot

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tbone170

tbone170

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:36 PM

Here I go...My computer will not boot and displays the following error...unmountable boot volume. I was able to get recovery console to run and when I did chkdsk, I got a message stating unrecoverable problems. I tried FIXBOOT and chkdsk again and still no luck. I then slaved it to another computer and tried chkdsk from there and got the same message. When I try and access the drive from the command propmt, I get directory enumeration error. In addition, when I try and open up the drive under "my computer" it state f: is not formatted. Can this be restored somehow? Is there any way to recover the files from the drive?

All help is appreciated...I am kind of a novice computer guy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:18 AM

Have you considered using Knoppix Live CD (Linux) to try to rescue the important stuff to external storage media ?

Here's a link to a guide on how to do so. The version of Knoppix may have changed but the same principles apply:

http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/

Hope this is of some help?

#3 tbone170

tbone170
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:05 AM

no, I didn't...but I will check it out. Thanks for the info. I was hoping there would be a way that I could get the computer to boot up

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:26 PM

First post indicates that priority was moving files from partition...second post, you want to boot the system.

FWIW: The typical solution for the Unmountable Boot Volume error...is to run the chkdsk /r command on the partition in question.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302

IMO, when chkdsk /r runs into problems that it cannot handle, it's usually one of two things:

a. The NTFS file system is awry or there is some problem with the partition tables. My experience is that chkdsk /r will spell out the problem if it's either of these.

b. The hard drive itself has problems.

If the hard drive itself has problems...the important thing is to move valued files from it...before anything else.

After such files have been moved, then it's time to try to better define the problem with the partition/drive. That calls for a hard drive diagnostic utility.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

#5 tbone170

tbone170
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:29 PM

My goal here is to save my pics and documents from the drive. I just seem to have no way to access them.

The recovery console on chkdsk /r reported "75% complete...one or more unrecoverable files"

When I try and use the drive in a DOS prompt, I get a message "error occurred during directory enumeration"

I'll try a diagnostic utility and post the results

thanks

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:16 PM

Did you try the solution offered by 1002 Richard S?

I don't do linux (I can barely handle XP) but...if you are looking a free recovery attempt, that seems the way to go.

If you want to pay for recovery software, I can make a recommendation...only on the condition that you understand that any effort using recovery software...is only an effort, not a guarantee of success.

Louis

#7 tbone170

tbone170
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:35 PM

Thanks for all of the options/ideas. Rich, after about 8 hours of trying to figure out how to run knoppix and burn an iso file to disc I finally got it!!! I was able to retrieve all of my kids pics and important docs. Thanks so much

#8 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:35 AM

Really pleased to read that, glad the idea was helpful!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users