Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

why is my hard drive slow?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sparkingchatterbox

sparkingchatterbox

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:18 PM

Hello everyone
I would like to know how to clean my hard drive and make sure it is running how it is meant to be. My computer hard drive is about 7-10 yrs old and i cant afford to update. The prob I am having is that my children cant install Dungeons and Dragons or warcraft and it is taking upto 10 minutes to even be able to get to the internet when i turn the computer on and after it open MSN etc. I have temp my computer defragged it ran viruses and removed programms i dont use but i just have no idea what ele i can do.
PLease help I am desperate. What do I do now?
thanks heaps
sparkingchatterbox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:00 PM

A decent guide, outdated but useful: http://www.cityschools.com/technology/comp_maint.htm

Scandisk is no more, the current replacement is chkdsk.

Chkdsk Explained, Understanding What Chkdsk Does - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314835/EN-US/ Skip everything down to Understanding What chkdsk does.

Running CHKDSK - http://www.1securitycenter.com/windows_xp_faq/chkdsk.html Follow the first set of directions given, but select both options (automatically fix...scan for).

I find that a defrag is more efficient if run after running the chkdsk according to the instructions above. Chkdsk may move files or files fragments, no point in running defrag (which places files for efficiency) before running a chkdsk command.

FWIW: If you have a 7-10 year-old hard drive...I suspect that it may not have sufficient free space to perform well.

Louis

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:05 PM

What version of Windows do you have ?

What brand & model is the computer ?
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:10 PM

First thing I would do is go into task manager and find out what your CPU usage is. Verify it is a hard drive problem before you waste time trying to fix it. You might have so many background processes running your computer is just slugged down.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 sparkingchatterbox

sparkingchatterbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:29 AM

What version of Windows do you have ?

What brand & model is the computer ?

Hello
sorry it has taken me so long to answer you i havent been on for a few days.
I have Windows XP and I have no idea what brand or model it is. I have looked on the computer itself but it is so old it has rubbed of i have found the motherboard disk if that helps P4S800-MX

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users