Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

magnified

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 sharpie

sharpie

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:29 PM

when i turned my compputer back on everything seemed magnified and larger than it should be. i tried messing around with the monitor, but that didn't work. any ideas on how i can make everything smaller and back to normal size.
-thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mysterysgames

Mysterysgames

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:41 PM

Have you tried to set the screen resolution?
http://www.helpwithpcs.com/tipsandtricks/c...tion-win-xp.htm

#3 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:40 AM

yes, i tried that, but the screen resolution bar won't move.

#4 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:28 PM

help please.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:17 PM

Try uninstalling the video drivers...rebooting...and then allowing the default drivers to be installed by XP.

Check the resolution, should be 800x600.

Then install the video drivers for the system/motherboard.

Louis

#6 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:14 PM

sounds good....how do i do that?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:42 PM

To uninstall the current video drivers:

Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter. Scroll down to Display Adapter entry. Double-click on it.

Click Driver tab, push Uninstall button, push OK.

Reboot the system...check the video resolution: Right-click anywhere on the desktop background with your mouse. A side-out menu will appear next to your mouse pointer. Select “Properties” from the side-out menu. A window will open on your screen. This is the Display Properties Window. Click on the tab labeled “Settings”. On the settings screen you will see a label reading “Screen Resolution” just above a slider bar. Under the slider bar is the number of pixels for your screen resolution. The pointer should reflect 800x600 if Windows did not automatically reload your correct video driver.

If it's anything other than 800x600, your problem should be solved.

If it's 800x600...then you probably need to manually install the video drivers.

System manufacturer and model?

Reading material: How to update a Windows hardware driver - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-update-a-windows-hardware-driver/

Louis

#8 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:44 PM

tried both of those and it didn't work. everything is still very big. properties says that screen resolution is 640X480 and my color quality is medium (16bit)

i went to intel.com and my driver is current. after i did the first thing you told me i rebooted my computer and when i turned it back on there was a bubble on the bottom of the screen that said something like your resolution is bad click here to fix it so i clicked on the bubble and it couldnt open also, a window came up that said "video controller-access denied"

also, some programs won't open and start up is much slower than usual. ie wont open i have to use opera to go online.

Edited by sharpie, 27 July 2009 - 06:51 PM.

#9 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:58 PM

sharpie:

Try this before uninstalling if you haven't made changes to your system already...

The problem you're having is because your operating system doesn't recognize the type of monitor / display you're using and defaults to 640 x 480 to protect your hardware.

Tell me what version of operating system software you use (i.e.: Windows XP Service Pack 2 or 3, Vista, etc..)

What is the name / description of your computer system (i.e.: Dell Inspiron 6100)

What is the type and model of display / monitor are you using (i.e: CRT (old school monitor), LCD, Flat Panel - Dell, HP, etc)

It may be simply a case of you need to install/reinstall a driver for your specific display type or download one from the manufacturer's website.

#10 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:43 PM

im having more problems than this. programs wont open its running slow and i used to have service pack 2 xp pro but for some reason i now have 1...i tried installing service pack 3 but i couldnt do it. it stops half way through. i installed the updates first and everything. i tried burning it with nero and using the disk to get sp3 and i also tried getting it from the microsoft website, but that didnt work and i tried each one twice. for some reason i am also missing "windows componets" the pop up says and when the computer first turns on there are a couple pop ups thats say something like could not finish loading disk. when i close them they pop right back up. i have to hold down alt f4 for about 8 seconds to make them go away, but when i boot back up, there they are. about my monitor, its a dell, but not really sure wich one. its about 17 inches long and 2 inches thick. its not new. the computer is a dell dimension 3000. got it a few years ago. i have windows xp pro and when i went to display adapters i read that i have a intel®82865G graphics controller. i went to the intel website and it said that everything was up to date.
-thanks

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~tg

#11 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:16 PM

hello? i hooked up my old monitor, the one i had before i hooked up this one and had this problem and i still have the same problem. everything is still very big.

Edited by sharpie, 29 July 2009 - 07:02 PM.

#12 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 05:07 PM

Wow!

I didn't realize how big your problem was until I read this. Glad I asked for the info, because I thought about your situation after my first post and realized that your computer PROBABLY was booting itself into "safe mode" due to something going wrong.

Lets see what we can do here...

"im having more problems than this. programs wont open its running slow and i used to have service pack 2 xp pro but for some reason i now have 1..."

This indicates that you probably did one of the following:
  • You borrowed or have an original version of Windows XP prior to Service Pack 2 being released.
  • You inserted the original restore CD that came with your computer and it booted, giving you the option to restore your system to factory defaults.
  • You booted from a Windows XP CD and installed a "clean" version of Windows on your computer.
None of the above is a problem, but if you did any of these, it means that you have to "build" your version of XP back up to where it should be.

"i tried installing service pack 3 but i couldnt do it. it stops half way through. i installed the updates first and everything. i tried burning it with nero and using the disk to get sp3 and i also tried getting it from the microsoft website, but that didnt work and i tried each one twice."

This happens for several reasons. My guess is the following is true:
  • When you restore your computer to the "Original" version of Windows XP, it automatically installs Internet Explorer Version 5 or 6 - both of which are no longer supported by Windows Update. You must upgrade to IE6 Service Pack 1 or IE7 in order to download the Windows Components necessary to get the updates needed to install service packs.
  • You must be running Windows XP Service Pack 2 in order to successfully install Service Pack 3. If there are no service packs installed or you are running SP1, installation of SP3 will fail. (The reason rolls back to Item 1 above.)
  • The Microsoft Update website will break your download of any service pack if you do not have at least IE6 Service Pack 1 and the correct Windows Components installed.
"for some reason i am also missing "windows componets" the pop up says..."

See explanation above...

"and when the computer first turns on there are a couple pop ups thats say something like could not finish loading disk. when i close them they pop right back up. i have to hold down alt f4 for about 8 seconds to make them go away, but when i boot back up, there they are."

Sounds like you are using a keyboard combination to bypass startup error messages and the system is booting into "safe mode".

"about my monitor, its a dell, but not really sure wich one. its about 17 inches long and 2 inches thick. its not new. the computer is a dell dimension 3000. got it a few years ago. i have windows xp pro and when i went to display adapters i read that i have a intel®82865G graphics controller. i went to the intel website and it said that everything was up to date.
-thanks"

There are several issues we have to resolve in order to get your computer system back to normal operation.

I need to know if you can turn your computer on and have it go all the way through loading Windows XP (you should see a black screen, followed by a screen with a "Windows XP" logo and a floating status bar below the logo), followed by a blue screen and the Windows XP login window.

If your computer gives you any error of any kind between turning it on and getting to the login screen, post the error message here for me.

I'll help you as fast as I can, but it sounds like you wiped your system and started from scratch.

#13 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:32 PM

my system is not booting in to safe mode because when i press f8 on start up i have the option to continue in both normal or safe mode and i have done both and they are both magnified. there is no error message and it loads all the way through. i will try getting the new i.e. right now, but do you know how i could get rid of the messages that come up on boot up for good instead of doing it everytime i boot up. one more thing. what do you think about an os repair cd or program. someone had suggested it o me, but i don't know too much about it and i don't really wan't google it and start downloading random things without some moreinfo and a second opinion.

thank you so much for the help.

ok i just downloaded i.e. sp1, but it looks like theone that i already on there. when i try and download i.e. 7 i get a message that says "setup has detected that another update is in progress. please complete that installation or removal and try again later." i also get another message when i try to download i.e. 7 that says "this instalation does not support your operating system's current service pack version.".

thanks

Edited by tg1911, 01 August 2009 - 08:50 PM.

#14 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:47 PM

"my system is not booting in to safe mode because when i press f8 on start up i have the option to continue in both normal or safe mode and i have done both and they are both magnified."

Your screen should be magnified (640 x 480) in safe mode but not in normal. This is to protect your hardware.

"there is no error message and it loads all the way through."

This is good.

"i will try getting the new i.e. right now, but do you know how i could get rid of the messages that come up on boot up for good instead of doing it everytime i boot up. one more thing. what do you think about an os repair cd or program. someone had suggested it o me, but i don't know too much about it and i don't really wan't google it and start downloading random things without some moreinfo and a second opinion.

thank you so much for the help.

ok i just downloaded i.e. sp1, but it looks like theone that i already on there. when i try and download i.e. 7 i get a message that says "setup has detected that another update is in progress. please complete that installation or removal and try again later." i also get another message when i try to download i.e. 7 that says "this instalation does not support your operating system's current service pack version."

You can NOT install IE7 until you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
You must install Windows XP Service Pack 2 to get Windows Updates
You must install Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 in order to get Windows Update Components.

So your action list should be:
  • Boot into normal mode
  • Download Windows XP Service Pack 2 and install - this will update your version of Internet Explorer to Version 6
  • Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and find updates. This will give you the opportunity to download Windows Components needed to get updates and service packs. Reboot if needed
  • Restart and boot into normal mode. Go back to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com. Check for updates and download the software to use "Microsoft Update" when asked. This will download the Windows Components you need to be able to update your system.
  • Update Internet Explorer to Version 6 Service Pack 1. This will allow you to get the most current updates. You can stick with IE6SP1 or upgrade to IE7, but you need to have IE6SP1 to get Windows XP updates
  • In the meantime to try to fix the monitor issue, right click on your "Desktop" (the screen that appears after you log into XP) and choose "Properties"
  • Choose the tab that says "Settings"
  • Under the section that says "Screen Resolution", you should see an object called a "slider bar". This is a control that you can click your mouse on and it moves across the box from left to right. Click on it until you see the words "800 x 600 pixels" and click "Apply"
  • You will see your monitor flicker for a second, then your desktop will reappear with the new monitor settings. A dialog box will ask you if you want to keep the new settings. Click "Yes" to accept the new way your display looks, "No" to undo changes.
  • If you like what you see, then click the "OK" button on the "Display Properties" box to close it.

When you're done post back here with the results.

Any questions, ask away...

#15 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:17 PM

i talked about 6-9 in the beginning of the topic. i already had ie6sp1 and i am already to install updates its just that i cannot install xpsp2. and i talked about that in the beginning of the topic post too.

-thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users