Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PS2 port not recognized by Vista 64 bit

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 johnbald1

johnbald1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 05:49 PM

I do not know if this is a Vista problem but am making that assumption. I have a new Gateway LX6810-01 and did not care for the tiny keyboard that came with the new unit. I picked up a Microsoft comfort keyboard 2000, wired with USB end and attached a PS2 adapter to it. I plugged it in the same slot as where the Gateway board had been which was a PS2 keyboard and no joy. I unplugged removed the adapter and plugged it into a USB port and Vista picked it up stated correct driver was there and it was ready for use. It works fine with USB port. I would much rather use the PS2 port as I am limited on number of USB ports. I tried a few different adapters on the end of the USB cord in case one was faulty but none are recognized. By the way I had the computer off while changing things around to avoid any controller issues, and as the gateway keyboard worked and I did still find the driver for it would a recommendation be to delete that driver and install latest software from Microsoft site?
Any help would be appreciated to get it to work on the PS2 port.
System specs:
Gateway LX6810-01
Intel core2 QuadQ8200 2.33ghz
Not hyperthreaded
Bus clock 333 mghz
BIOS American Megatrends RO1-A1
8gb ddr2 RAM 8192 usable memory
2048 secondary memory cache
Board: GatewayFMCP7AM
WD640gb hard drive 1 SATA
WD320 bb hard drive 2 SATA
Display Nvidia GeForce GT120
Vista OEM Premium home edition 64 Bit (home premium edition)

Edited by johnbald1, 25 July 2009 - 09:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:05 PM

Does the original keyboard still work with the computer?
Did use install the software, if any that came with the keyboard?
What is the keyboard's model number? It will be underneath
Open Device Manager and expand all of the +'s. Are there any yellow exclamation points in Device Manager?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 johnbald1

johnbald1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:33 PM

Thanks for responding. The original keyboard works just fine in the PS2 port, and no there was no software with the Microsoft comfort keyboard 2000 v1.0. As stated it was picked up by Vista as long as I keep it plugged in the USB port. It picked it up and applied driver and away it went.
But it is not recognized in the PS2 port. I did happen to download the Intellitype drivers ITP64 which I understand will work with the Keyboard. I have not loaded them because my concern is the keyboard working in a PS2 port. I can get it to work in the USB, but I don't have that many USB ports so want it in the PS2 port.
If all else fails I will buy a USB powered hub and not use the Ps2 ports.
I have been into the device manager and no yellow error icons show.

#4 johnbald1

johnbald1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:05 PM

I have been to four computer help sites, three to which I belong as either a moderator or admin. Not much help on any of them. I am not faulting anyone that is just the way it is. This particular problem just does not have many answers so what I did was simply got a additional 4 port hub so I would have enough ports for the accessory plugins and of course that works. Down the road I will do the following:

Delete the keyboard and all device drivers for any keboards found. Reboot with the keyboard plugged in to the PS2 port and hope Vista will at least make and effort to find the new hardware. I have as stated downloaded Intellitype software which will work with Vista Premium 64 bit. I will let you know if it works or if the controller is possibly shot.

I also checked on latest PS2 type plugins and most companies now put out a double ended PS2 that goes to the green (keyboard) and purple (mouse) with a USB connection. This tells me that PS2 may be on the way out?

#5 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:09 PM

Is PS2 enabled in the BIOS?

With the PS2 mpuse plugged in, Hit: Start> Control Panel> Mouse. The window that opens up is mouse properties. Click Hardware. Does is show anywhere in the dialog box that it sees your PS2 mouse? Click properties. Check the drivers. Anything there?

#6 Texan115

Texan115

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:23 AM

I am having the same problem on 2 different computers. Looks like this is a problem with Vista 64 bit not recognizing PS2 Ports. If you have some PCI or PCIe ports you can allways buy an add on card for more USB ports. These are available at most online computer retailers or Best Buy etc...

I do not know if this is a Vista problem but am making that assumption. I have a new Gateway LX6810-01 and did not care for the tiny keyboard that came with the new unit. I picked up a Microsoft comfort keyboard 2000, wired with USB end and attached a PS2 adapter to it. I plugged it in the same slot as where the Gateway board had been which was a PS2 keyboard and no joy. I unplugged removed the adapter and plugged it into a USB port and Vista picked it up stated correct driver was there and it was ready for use. It works fine with USB port. I would much rather use the PS2 port as I am limited on number of USB ports. I tried a few different adapters on the end of the USB cord in case one was faulty but none are recognized. By the way I had the computer off while changing things around to avoid any controller issues, and as the gateway keyboard worked and I did still find the driver for it would a recommendation be to delete that driver and install latest software from Microsoft site?
Any help would be appreciated to get it to work on the PS2 port.
System specs:
Gateway LX6810-01
Intel core2 QuadQ8200 2.33ghz
Not hyperthreaded
Bus clock 333 mghz
BIOS American Megatrends RO1-A1
8gb ddr2 RAM 8192 usable memory
2048 secondary memory cache
Board: GatewayFMCP7AM
WD640gb hard drive 1 SATA
WD320 bb hard drive 2 SATA
Display Nvidia GeForce GT120
Vista OEM Premium home edition 64 Bit (home premium edition)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users