Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with ports

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 maumastoks

maumastoks

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 04:50 PM

Now I need help with ports.
Why? To be able to host a match on Touhou 10.5 Scarlet Weather Rhapsody game.

Now the whole thing:
There is no router.
My internet connection goes like this:
Cable -> Modem -> Desktop's Windows Firewall -> Desktop (XP) -> Wireless home network -> My laptop's F-Secure Client Security firewall -> My laptop (Vista).

What I tried:
1. Opened a port in desktop's firewall just by "Add port..." Didn't work (my F-Secure firewall in laptop has the Touhou program in allowed list)
2. Disabled my F-Secure firewall (Windows Firewall in my Laptop is always disabled). The port was opened in desktop. Didn't work.
3. Disabled both firewalls (desktop Windows Firewall and my laptop's F-Secure Client Security Firewall). Didn't work. The problem is not within the firewalls.
4. Installed the game to desktop and tried playing. It works with firewall. The problem might be with the wireless.

Modem is:

Motorola
SB5100E
SURFboard
Cabel Modem

Wireless is:

SMC
EZ Connect 2.4GHz Wireless
Ethernet Adapter SMC2671W

I tried opening a port in desktop's firewall for uTorrent too. Does not work either. So the problem is not within the game.

Any ideas what to do? Feel free to ask questions, I'll answer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 10:23 PM

Easy answer = get a wireless router and get rid of the ad-hoc wireless. lol

Have you connected the laptop to the modem directly? If you are looking to host, that might not work through an ad-hoc wireless connection.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 maumastoks

maumastoks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:57 AM

My laptop is not connected to anything via cables. It is connected via wireless network with my desktop.
My desktop is connected to modem.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:16 AM

Yes I under stood what you were saying when it came to how you have your network set up. I was asking if you tried connecting the laptop directly to the modem, bypassing the ad-hoc wireless you have? Just as a test to see if you can host the the "battle" then. That would then tell you that it is the wireless and you need a different hook up if you want to host on the laptop.

The only other thing I can think of is perhaps you need to run the program in Admin mode on the Vista laptop.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 maumastoks

maumastoks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:52 AM

Tried run as administrator. No change.

Failed to connect my laptop directly to modem but it is obvious that it would work. Since it worked on my desktop.

#6 zesler

zesler

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:31 AM

I'm guessing its your IP addresses. on both computers

start run cmd
ipconfig
post their ip addresses and their subnet masks.

How you generally connect is by using the other's IP address, if its on the same network and its port.

Example
192.168.1.5:4040
Posted Image

#7 maumastoks

maumastoks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:55 PM

Sorry for a late reply >_<

The connection in game goes like this:
IP:port.
example: 6*.8*.23*.2*:7500

Laptop's IP address: 192.168.2.7
Desktop's IP address: 192.168.2.1
Laptop's and desktop's subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Edited by maumastoks, 27 July 2009 - 04:55 PM.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:05 PM

Buy a wireless router.

#9 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:25 PM

maumastoks

The information I found says that your game runs on port 10800 UDP. This is important because if you open port 10800 on TCP, the people trying to connect wont be able to contact the computer you're using as the host. UDP connections are "streaming connections" meaning the data is transmitted without regards to whether or not the receiver or sender can communicate. TCP connections require that the sender and receiver "talk" to each other to make sure the information is received and sent in the order it was meant to be received and sent in.

You also need to allow inbound and outbound connections on port 10800. Make sure you only open port 10800 for this game and assign the executable for the game (the program that specifically runs the game) to communicate on that port.

Giving credit to those who know more about this game than I, you might try the website below:

http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Scarlet_Weath...apsody:_Netplay

#10 maumastoks

maumastoks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:40 PM

The port does not really matter. It is just recommended to use 10800. My friend always hosts on 7500 port and it always works.
And I tried opening both 10800 and 7500 ports. Neither worked.

And every Touhou 10.5 player knows that website. Just it says almost nothing about errors.

Edited by maumastoks, 29 July 2009 - 04:41 PM.

#11 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:57 AM

Well since you won't try what is asked and you know all about the game....I wish you the best of luck.

#12 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:27 PM

The port does not really matter. It is just recommended to use 10800. My friend always hosts on 7500 port and it always works.
And I tried opening both 10800 and 7500 ports. Neither worked.

And every Touhou 10.5 player knows that website. Just it says almost nothing about errors.

Two things:

Did you open UDP connections like I asked?

Did you assign the executable file the game uses to run multiplayer connection to use the port that you opened?

A port on your computer is simply a door. It does nothing more than act as a portal (port - portal : get it :thumbsup: ) to allow the type of communication you specified. Opening a port does nothing unless you assign a program to it.

If you run the program and you correctly assign the port and the program to communicate, you can test the connection by doing the following:

http://localhost:port number

Example:
http://localhost:10800 (where you assign Port 10800 to be the port you host on...)

If the game runs on your computer by trying the localhost trick, then your friends should be able to connect by replacing localhost with your IP address assigned by your cable/dsl modem.

You also need to port forward to your local network, because you are running your game as a service on your local network, but your local network is not visible to the Internet. (At least you better hope it isn't :flowers: )

If you don't know how to forward ports, ask someone in the networking forum or check for a tutorial.

#13 maumastoks

maumastoks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:34 PM

Made it working. Thanks ^^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users