Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getservice

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Scott H

Scott H

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 05 September 2004 - 09:49 PM

I downloaded this on suggestion from the guys at HJT, unzipped it, tried to run it and it says that it is missing a file, link or something. What is going on is this normal?

Thanks,
Scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 06 September 2004 - 01:36 AM

Howdy, Scott H. I read your post earlier. I've been busy studying HJT logs.

What is going on is this normal?

Well, missing a file, link or something isn't normal. I downloaded getservice myself about 15 minutes ago to double-check.

Normally your first post would be an HJT Log. Then the "guys at HJT" would have something to go by when suggesting what to do. Each machine is different. So do that... Post it in the Security>Hijack This Logs & Analysis Forum.

Here are some pointers...

Create a folder on your hardrive to save HijackThis.exe in. A folder like c:\hijackthis. If you do not do this, you will not be able to use the backup/restore features.

Download HijackThis from: HijackThis Download Site

Save this file into the folder you made previously and then run the program named hijackthis.exe. When the program opens click on the Config button, then click on the Misc Tools button, and click on the Check for update online button. When it completes checking/applying updates press the back button.

Now click on the Scan button and when it is finished click on the Save Log button. A Notepad window will open with the contents of this log. Click on Edit then click on Select all. Then click on Edit and then Click on Copy.

Come back here, click the new topic button in the section I mentioned earlier and right click->paste anywhere in the message window. You could start your post message by saying what the problem with your PC is, then do the paste log step.

Someone will reply to you after reading the post. DO NOT fix any entries unless you understand what you are doing.

To see a tutorial with screenshots on using HijackThis you can click on the link below:

How To Use HijackThis to RemoveBrowser Hijackers, Malware, & Spyware

Normal action of getservice is:
  • Download it to disk (desktop)
  • Unzip to a location easy to get to
  • open that folder
  • click on the .exe file. You will see about a one second view of a command prompt window in action
  • then double-click on the .bat file (the one with the MS Batch description tag & gear logo)
  • A Notepad window will open with the contents of it's log. Click on Edit then click on Select all. Then click on Edit and then Click on Copy. (same as HJT procedure)
You can paste it , too...after the HJT log paste if you like, in the same post.

-trainee

Edited by phawgg, 06 September 2004 - 01:44 AM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 06 September 2004 - 08:26 PM

Scott,

What version operating system do you have? The getservice zip file was created for a specific purpose, which is to list services in Windows XP and 2000. If you are not using one of those operating systems then you will get an error.

Do you have a link to the post that asks you to download this file?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users