Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I restore laptop to original state?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 salty649

salty649

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:41 PM

My HP Pavillion 6700 with Vista home edition 32bit has a virus. I delete it with Avast and it comes back. I down loaded malware Bytes and it also found the virus and deleted it. Next Malware Bytes won't run, so I delete and download again but now new version won't run. Next I down load Stopzilla it won't run. I'm tired of trying to delete it, I can't restore because the restore dates all would have the virus. Also windows would not update until I ran Malwarebytes the first time then It was updating. That was about 6 weeks ago. I don't have the virus name as I deleted it. wHen it comes back I'll write it down.

Is it possible to restore to the original state, I don't care about losing programs or data.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :huh: :huh: :

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 andrewww

andrewww

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:50 PM

If you really want to reinstall windows you can do so. Do you have ny manufacter disks? Some manufacters provide a system restore facilty without using disks. When the laptop boots it may have an option like push F12 to factory reset or something similar.
Lucy
C2D E6600 @ 2.4, 8GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066, 500GB Barracuda, Powercolor HD4850, Asus P5Q Pro, Corsair TX650, NZXT Lexa Blackline, Windows 7 - Build 7100, Samsung 22" Monitor

#3 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:44 AM

Have you considered using Knoppix Live CD (Linux) to try to rescue the important stuff to external storage media ? I see you say you don't mind losing data but if this may help you rescue it ...

Here's a link to a guide on how to do so. The version of Knoppix may have changed but the same principles apply:

http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/

Hope this is of some help?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users